• For my couch, I use chairs. The only way to stop Willie from digging is to keep him off the couch. Chairs on my couches makes my living room look kind of dumb, but at least the couch won't be ruined. Sooner or later I'll get around to buying these plastic squares you can get with pointy nubs on them that are supposed to hurt if they step on them (but they're not supposed to do any damage - just be uncomfortable). I thought that they might work as aversion therapy. I haven't had to deal with outside digging.

• When Blaze use to dig, my dad would yell, scream, throw things to no end. It didn't help. Then mom decided to "improve" the landscape. Everyday Blaze would dig a hole, she would go out there, lay some waterproof fabric, pull some larger rocks around it, and put water in it. Blaze would come out the next day to his new favourite hole, and find the water. He'd pace around for a bit, then find a new spot to dig. He did this five times, then he stopped. He hasn't dug since.
    He's also stopped the couch digging, but we have no claim to that. He was sneaky. He'd unzip the back of the cushion, dig out the back half of the foam, hide his rope toy or stuffed toy in it, then zip it back up. We had some lumpy cushions

Suggested Topics