• I just adopted Meeka from BRAT and she is 10 pounds overweight. She has her thyroid checked with a T4 test (??) and the result was 1.94 with a referene range of 1.0 to 4.0, the vet said this was normal, but i've seen posts on the forum about normal/low being too low for a basenji. does anyone know what these numbers mean? thanks!!

• I can tell you what that means for a human (as I am hypothyroid). Normal low would be toward the upper end of the 4.0 (opposite of what you think). Hypo is above the 4.0 range, hyper is below the 1.0 range for dogs - I think it is more like .4 for humans). Someone who is hyperthyroid can have trouble keeping weight on…someone who is hypothyroid can have trouble taking weight off (it is kind of a simplistic explanation as much more than just weight is affected...actually that is usually the least of the problem).

I would think 1.92 being smack dab in the middle would be pretty good. An endocrinologist usually doesn't want someone (so I'd guess the same for dogs) to be near the 4.0 range because if something changes then you are hypothroid again...likewise they don't want you too low or you could go hyperthyroid (heart issues, etc., can happen if you are hyper). They like to try to keep you in the middle/higher (1.0 - 2.0) end of the range if you are hypo. However, that said, each individual (and I would guess it could be the same for dogs) can react differently and need to be geared toward a different end of the scale (higher or lower). For example, for me...I need to be kept right at the high end (right near .4).

I'm sure if I'm wrong about how it works for dogs, someone will chime in...

• If they only tested the T4, I would ask that they do a full panel. Testing T4 only gives you just a little bit of the picture. You can find a ton of info online if you google canine hypothyroid. You will learn more than you want to, most likely.

Although, you might just try to get some weight off of her with diet and exercise…if it doesn't start coming off..then re-investigate the thyroid idea.

• Typically for Basenjis, low normal is too low…. at least that is what I have been told... but then again, only having the T4 doesn't give you the real picture, the full panel needs to be run.. not just the part that is done during a regular blood test...

• thanks everyone.. i put her on a diet and we are exercising her.. but i am going to send in the blood for the full panel after the new year..

• @DiegosMom:

thanks everyone.. i put her on a diet and we are exercising her.. but i am going to send in the blood for the full panel after the new year..

Good for you.. never hurts to have all the information…

Suggested Topics