• right now it's just me and that's part of the issue - actually my two b's were "inherited" from my ex - but i wasn't about to let them be put up for adoption when he left so after 6 years they are mine now - and there isn't anything i wouldn't do for them - i will ask around at animal hospitals and see what i can do - thanks

• There are several petsitting organizations on the web. Here are two that offer search functions and information about interviewing petsitters.

National Association of Professional Petsitters
    http://www.petsitters.org/index.cfm?section=Find&content=findsitter
    http://www.petsitters.org/index.cfm?section=PetOwners

Pet Sitters International
    http://www.petsit.com/locate/
    http://www.petsit.com/owners/

• thanks - it's been tough - the boy HATES his insulin shots!!! gotta figure this one out!

• My Isis hated them too, at first, Then we both got better, I got very quick, grab, jab, and gone! I used the area at the neck and shoulders (where you put Advantage) and just pinched up skin, stuck her and injected. I am a nurse, so giving a shot is easy for me, but giving one to a wiggling dog that yelped was hard at first, and I had a human helper. After a few months, I think that area got a bit numb and that helped. You may have to muzzle, then get over him, clamp him between your legs, facing forward, and go for it. Then reward instantly with a bit of chicken or something wonderful. It is a lot harder than having to give pills, but with patience and practice, you will find a way that works for you. Good luck, I am thinking of you,
    Anne in Tampa

• Anne - thanks for the words of encouragement - it has been very hard - and that fact that you are a nurse - ugh for me!!!! right now the last 4 shots haven't been so bad - i have been using abesol and let him lick pure 100% pumpkin that i smear on a plate - the last three times it worked - no flinch not nothing - tonight he yelped but didn't stop licking the plate - i was probably also a little but slower tonight - i wanted to make sure it went in - that is still my worry - whether the needle goes in - i am using a 30 gauge 1/2in needle - so it will get better? it is just me (and my other 😎 so it's a bit harder to really hold him down and i really hope it doesn't have to get to that cuz that would be oh so stressful for me!! and him i am sure! ugh - so is yours okay with shots now???

thanks - Terri, anzi and deja!

• Isis was our last generation of basenjis, she has been gone for about 6 years, and was 16 when she died.
    It sounds like you have a good system! You might ask the vet techs for suggestions on how to give the shot. 30 gauge is a very fine, sharp needle, buy them at your drugstore or Wallmart. Most hospitals (you vet may, but may charge you for 'hazardous waste') have a system for disposing of needles, for diabetic patients to bring them in for disposal. I used to actually put mine in a tin that chocolate came in, sort of ironic.

YOu will get much better with the shots, and he wil yelp sometimes. One quick 'owie' for a longer life, just ignore it, or give him a quick nuzzle, but not a ton of sympathy. Is he getting once a day. or twice? There are so many better insulins now, that cover better.

Keep up the good work! Feel free to e-mail me at home, I often don't come here for weeks at a time.

Anne in Tampa

• can you send me a private message with your email address - would love to stay in touch -

• o.k. dumb question..but how do you test the urine. sally squats so low to the ground , and I'm not sure if she would go with me next to her. I could make her wait a long time and see if she would have an accident on the kitchen floor. I hate to do that. But I think she may have this. She is shedding a alot, and is not eating, drinking a tone, and lost weight. She also shakes some times. (I just noticed the shaking yesturday)

• i use the diastix Bayer urine glucose strips - i just follow my girl and when she squats put it in there and get some urine on the strip - you can try a low pie tin to to catch some - but my girl is okay - i just follow her around

• has she tested positive for diabetes? all the sympoms you mentioned point to it - get the urine glucose strip and if it's positive take her to the vet and get blood work done - also get the strip for ketones - if that is positive she has way too much sugar and may be getting ketonosis (not sure if i spelled it right) - if her blood glucose is high then she has diabetes and if it's normal then she may have fanconi - get the strip asap - how old is she? - get her to the vet for sure

• @massagemom3:

o.k. dumb question..but how do you test the urine. sally squats so low to the ground , and I'm not sure if she would go with me next to her. I could make her wait a long time and see if she would have an accident on the kitchen floor. I hate to do that. But I think she may have this. She is shedding a alot, and is not eating, drinking a tone, and lost weight. She also shakes some times. (I just noticed the shaking yesturday)

You can also take her to the Vet and they can check the urine for sugar, in fact with what you are describing I would do that asap. Could be something as simple as an UTI or more serious like Fanconi or diabetes. And again I would do this asap with the other things you are describing. How long has she been doing this? not eating, drining a ton???? and losing weight?

As far as strip for Fanconi, if you take her for a walk you should be able to easily get close enough with the test strips (for future uses, again I would be off to the Vet asap)

• i agree - take her to the vet asap

• We were told Sally is around 2-2.5 years old. We got her in October, and she was very thin,and shedding. We got her to gain weight,and stop shedding, but recently got her switched to a better food(IAMS) and stopped her V3 because the vet thought she didn't need it with the better food. Now she is really shedding, itching, and lost weight. We put her back on the V3 and are switching back to the old Puppy Chow. (they sent her to us with it from the SPCA)… it takes time to switch. Now she is slowing down on eating and drinks a ton. I am going out the get the strips today. When I took her to the dumb vet ..she didn't think it was diebetes...and didn't test. I am going to look for another vet for other reason...Thanks fro your thoughts..it helps to have an idea of what to do. I really love Sally and want her to be healthy.

• @massagemom3:

We were told Sally is around 2-2.5 years old. We got her in October, and she was very thin,and shedding. We got her to gain weight,and stop shedding, but recently got her switched to a better food(IAMS) and stopped her V3 because the vet thought she didn't need it with the better food. Now she is really shedding, itching, and lost weight. We put her back on the V3 and are switching back to the old Puppy Chow. (they sent her to us with it from the SPCA)… it takes time to switch. Now she is slowing down on eating and drinks a ton. I am going out the get the strips today. When I took her to the dumb vet ..she didn't think it was diebetes...and didn't test. I am going to look for another vet for other reason...Thanks fro your thoughts..it helps to have an idea of what to do. I really love Sally and want her to be healthy.

Both those foods have corn… and that might be the souce of her skin problems... Again, is she a mix? or purebred? Regardless I would find a better quality food without any corn and see it that makes a difference...

And again I would find a Vet asap... and even it your old Vet, didn't think it was this or that, you are the client and can tell them you want the urine checked and bloodwork done...

• Yes,Sally is a mix. The vet thought the Puppy Chow was "good enough"..I will look for a food without corn. Have you heard of Nutro-Natural choice?

• can't the vet prescribe some food if need be? or maybe certain home cooked stuff?

• also let us know what the test strip says

• @massagemom3:

Yes,Sally is a mix. The vet thought the Puppy Chow was "good enough"..I will look for a food without corn. Have you heard of Nutro-Natural choice?

There are many, many foods out there, IMO the best have the fewest things in them… especially any kind of fillers, such as corn, beet pulp, etc...
    Nutro-Natural is a decent food, along with Canidae, California Natural, etc... I have used both Canidae and California Natural (Chicken), and am using a mix of EVO and Natural Balance Potato and Duck
    Be care sometimes lamb is NOT the best for them...

• @tewwi22:

can't the vet prescribe some food if need be? or maybe certain home cooked stuff?

Since her Vet thought that puppy chow was good enough… would not want to depend on that advise

• If you are looking for a corn free food that can be found at a place like Petco, take a look at Organix or Natural Balance both are corn free and available at Petco.

Suggested Topics