• Hello everybody! I'm a pretty new Basenji owner. I didn't have the slightest clue that my sweety Lira, was a Basenji until a vet told me she looked like a "pit/basenji mix". Of course, she didn't look like a pit to me, so I did what anyone would do - I Googled. She meets all the requirments, height, weight, color, etc.

You see, nearly 6 months ago I was out looking for a new friend at the local pound, you know, to give a dog that needs a home, a home. So, there she was back in her little cell near some pitbulls, she was so afraid she wouldn't come to the cage door, or even look at me. When I talked to her calmy, and in a sweet voice, she gave me her left eye, and it was just like love at first sight. Of course she came home with me that day.

But, an odd thing I notice is; She can bark and will. Her tail does not curl, it is semi-curled and she is very obediant. She also can't wait to get a bath.

Are any of those things uncommon for a Basenji? She doesn't yodel…at all....she does make some odd crying noises if I put the gate up to teach her a lesson, and she can't see me.

A website I visited said that Basenji's are very aggresive....and don't excell in obediance - I don't know if I have some sort of super basenji, but, she is not aggressive at all. She is also the sweetest smartest dog I've ever had. Sometimes how smart she is creeps me out. She learned how to use objects as tools, to get from one end to the other, and to also get her ball/treat/anything I put in a high place, or a place that is just unreachable to her. I'm beginning to think that the website I visited, was full of it.

An example; I put her favorite ball on the top of my dresser, then I will look at her eyes and say "Lira, focus, focus, go get the ball." She then looks for ways to get to it. If I act as if I dropped something and bend down or pull a chair out she will use it/me as a tool to get her ball/anything els I tell her get. She will alos jump from table to stand, then from myself to the ball/whatever it is I told her to get.

It strikes me as something odd, when I speak to her - it's like she actually knows what I'm saying. It could be that "B-Stare,"I'm hearing about. and the way she tilts her head side-to-side. I don't know, shes highly intelligent I think.

What I want to know is, are any of these things uncommon for a basenji to do? And is my LiLi, a basenji or basenji mix? I'll include a picture of my sweety, maybe you can answer some of my questions. And tell me if she is a Basenji or a Basenji mix.

• She certainly is part Basenji… but I would say she is most likely a mix, but she is cute... and I don't know what website said that Basenjis are aggressive?... sure in some cases, as in poorly bred, poorly socialized as puppys, etc... but responsible breeders have worked really hard for good temperaments in Basenjis.

• She's looks like a basenji mix to me…I wouldn't guess pure-bred though. The only basenjis I've met have been shy or friendly...I haven't met an aggressive one (although a couple people on here have biters), so I'm not sure where the aggressive info is coming from...

Maybe the obedience thing is from the other dog that she is mixed with :D...my dog Ruby (pure bred) will respond to the training I've given her, but when she tires of it or isn't interested, the selective hearing kicks in. Also, if there are rabbits or deer around, then any training I've done, pretty much goes out the window :rolleyes:.

I had heard that if a basenji fetches, it would be an indicator that it could possibly excel at obedience. Don't know if that is true, but maybe someone on here knows more about that than me. I've only met one basenji that fetches.

• Hello and welcome to the forum!!

Lira is beautiful!!! I have a b mix too (basenji and whippet - also shelter rescued) and I believe the mixes don't always adhere to the basenji standard (personality - that is). Perhaps this is why she has some traits that aren't really basenji… it has to be the breed she is mixed with.

Hollie has lots of basenji traits, but thank goodness chewing on everything is NOT one of them!! She can also bark AND yodel!!

I have known a Basenji/Lab mix that really had few basenji personality traits, but he had some and he looked part b too!!

I guess it all depends on the breed with which they are mixed.

• @renaultf1:

:.
    I had heard that if a basenji fetches, it would be an indicator that it could possibly excel at obedience. Don't know if that is true, but maybe someone on here knows more about that than me. I've only met one basenji that fetches.

Jazzy fetches and brings the toy back to have it thrown over and over again. She has done that since she was a puppy.
    She's also a pretty quick learner, and is FAR more obedient than Keoki, who
    suddenly goes deaf when he's asked to do something he's not in the mood for doing. LOL So maybe you're on to something.:)

{Granted, obedience is not something we spend a lot of time on – as long as they are behaving, I'm okay with that. We don't get out much w/the dogs, so real strict obedience has just never been a priority for me. Probably should be . . . .}

• @renaultf1:

HA HA HA, My Squiggy will fetch (indoors only) and bring it back….over and over again. But excelling at obedience---HA.
    JK, he's a smart boy. And would have probably been a wonderfully obedient dog if the person who had him his first 3 years worked on it at all. But in the 2 years I have had him he really has made some strides.
    But it would make sense that dogs that are more into the fetching would be more into people pleasing type games and behavior.
    He will do ANYTHING for a piece of cheese though:D

• Your little girl is just GORGEOUS 😃 😃

I think she is definitely part basenji…I don't think the other half is Pit thought 😕 It sounds like you have a special girl with lots of great qualities. Many Bs have those qualities....my boy is just too smart for his own good :eek: he's done remarkable things to get what he wants 😃

• Cute Dog!
    I have always loved Basenjis and, in college, when I worked at Petsmart, there was a girl that came in with one. This was the first time I had ever seen a real one. I told her I loved her basenji and went on talking about them. She stopped me and said "my what? I got her from the pound, what is she?"
    I then got out the B book and showed her. The dog was purebred and beautiful and now had been sprung from the pound and the owner was greatful for my help…although it was more like me being a crazy lady gushing over seeing a real live B for the first time 😃

So congrats on your beautiful B mix and welcome to our group!

• To cute, definitely a basenji mix, but I don't see pit bull at all

• Very pretty pup…welcome to the forum!

• Oh, there is Basenji in there for sure! I'll be the odd one out and say that I do see some Staffie in the structure of the head.

Deb
    (always the odd one out – make no never mind about it though)

• I have two more questions.

Why does my B-Mix nip my hands when she's playing? It's never my face neck arms or legs or anywhere/thing els….just my hands..I 've realized just how much she uses her paws, but, why does she bite mine?my hands

And also, does anyone elses B-Mix run through the house at 40mPH, and then lands on the couch with full force - nearly going out the window? Would a breeder/anyone other person consider that a behavior issue? I play with her alot, every chance I get. She also goes to dog parks/for walks....

• You probably use your hands when you play with her and don't realize it. Your b-mix sees these (your hands) as toys in return-so she nips them!

As for the running-you just have been initiated to the Basenji-500! Get used to it-it is not, what I would consider, a behaviour issue-just a basenji issue. All of mine do it!

• Yup, you've encountered the B500. A highly encouraged activity around my house :D. Part of Ruby's race track is my father's lap…quite funny.

• @LiLi:

And also, does anyone elses B-Mix run through the house at 40mPH, and then lands on the couch with full force - nearly going out the window? Would a breeder/anyone other person consider that a behavior issue? I play with her alot, every chance I get. She also goes to dog parks/for walks….

That is no where near a behavior issue, that is just normal Basenji. We call it the B500. They do it just to express extra energy. Sometimes they just have extra energy.

If it makes you feel better my boxer does it also, even before I had a Basenji. Try having a 70 lbs boxer racing around a hard wood floor and taking a full tilt leap at the couch while you are sitting on it

• @LiLi:

I have two more questions.

Why does my B-Mix nip my hands when she's playing? It's never my face neck arms or legs or anywhere/thing els….just my hands..I 've realized just how much she uses her paws, but, why does she bite mine?my hands

And also, does anyone elses B-Mix run through the house at 40mPH, and then lands on the couch with full force - nearly going out the window? Would a breeder/anyone other person consider that a behavior issue? I play with her alot, every chance I get. She also goes to dog parks/for walks....

I have a Basenji mix - Duke. He was a puppy when I got him and I didn't know his breed either. I was so annoyed at his mouthing behavior. We got thru it - I love dogs, but when at 6 months old, I found out he was Basenji - then - I understood. Yep - the advice you have here is - he does think your hand is a toy. Always have a real toy handy for you to substitute and don't allow your hand his object of entertainment.

And . . . WOW with the B-500! We had no choice, but to move aside and let him run! I find that behavior so endearing and entertaining. Just enjoy the youth!!! I decided to get Duke a mate - She's a year younger - another B-mix. So different but yet alike in Basenji mannerisms. Best decision I made was getting Duke a buddy here at home. Keep up with the walks and dog park. They need the exercise.

• Wait until you add a second basenji/basenji mix to your home…the dogs will run each other around like crazy.
    Makes me laugh each time they do it.

• Oh, that's good to know. I thought maybe I was being a bad owner there for a second, like, not enough of the "No!" talk.

So, it turns out I have another question. 🙂

If I sound crazy a little bit, don't worry I'm not - I just really love my sweety.

I've never yelled/hit/or raised a hand at my LiLi, but, whenever I tell her "no" or "come here lili, did you do that?" she will run under my bed and hide…. When she does that, it does make you feel bad for telling her "No" - or for saying whatever you said, lol. That's odd because, I always talk to her in a calm, sweet voice because I don't want her to do that.

My mom thinks she just knows that I eventually give her what she wants if she does that. And it's not like I'm some evil dog hitter or something, I just don't get it. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

I've had other dogs before, but none who were so emotional, and freaked out like this. I kinda think that maybe she was a dog who was hit....because I did get her from a pound, and she does have some scars on her mouth. But then again, when my mom tells her to do something, she does it. Go figure...I think it's just that "mom voice" - you know the tone your mom gives you sometimes.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Wait until you add a second basenji/basenji mix to your home…the dogs will run each other around like crazy.
    Makes me laugh each time they do it.

Oh yeah! The dual Basenji 500. We just get the heck out of the way. Jazz and Keoki get going and we are always amazed that neither gets hurt as they bash into walls and furniture w/out missing a beat.

When the weather is good, I just open the back door and they zip out as if that was their plan all along and continue the run in the yard.

It's one of my favorite Basenji characteristics!

• Welcome and what a cute dog! My previous basenji had this habit of tricking me when he wanted something he wasn't supposed to have (and yes I admit I fell for it almost every time). For example, he would distract me by grabbing the kitchen throw rugs and dragging them into another room and when I came to retrieve them (unintended pun) he'd go around the other direction to snatch my sandwich off the table! My current beastie doesn't care for fetching games but he sure has a technique for getting things he wants.

Suggested Topics