Skip to content

Bedtime aggression

Behavioral Issues
  • Sahara never gets grumpy when she has to move or I move her myself. When she was a puppy I always tried to get her use to being moved, and I just couldn't keep my hands off of her when she was sleeping. Just like a sweet little baby, I just had to sweet talk her and rub her, she looked so sweet and lovable. I still have a had time leaving her alone, hubby too when she is sleeping. She is great, when she is sleeping in my lap and I have to get up, I just say, "Sahara, Mommy has to get up". She immediately gets up and moves and goes to lay down in her bed or in the guest room where it is usually nice and dark (no lights on). I read on here when she was a puppy to get her use to being moved when she was sleeping and I thank this forum for that. I took the advice and Sahara is all the good for that. She still growls and puts my wrist in her mouth when I get in my car, she hates to see me leave. I am still working on this behavior, hope the water bottle stops it for good.:D

Suggested Topics

  • Growling at bedtime

    Behavioral Issues
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    6k Views
    CrazySenjiC
    This is a very common basenji issue! They get comfortable and don't want to be bothered. My brindle dog only does it when he's still delirious from sleep and "snaps out of it" when he realizes what's going on. Teaching a dog "OFF!" is very important! Do it when they are happy and awake and then move to sleepy and grumpy. On the couch, say OFF! and treat them when they get it right. It becomes a game. Both of my dogs know what "OFF!" means and listen to it. One of them will continue to grumble until he's fully awake and then he's back to his happy self. I agree with Pat and the treats for crate time. When I leave for work I say "Who wants a treat?" and off they run to their kennels! I break out the good stuff for going to work time. At night I say night-night and in they go. This didn't happen overnight! It took my red boy months to like his crate. Lots of sleepless nights with a screaming puppy. I actually had to buy him a new one because I discovered he was scared of the all enclosed plastic crates. Now his perfect in his crate and goes in on his own to relax.
  • Fear Aggression

    Behavioral Issues
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    7k Views
    kdubs518K
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but she is definitely worth it. I'd do anything for my best friend! Oh! I think we're having some progress with her. My neighbor's granddaughter is staying the week. The first few days Pippin would bark at her anytime she got near the fence. I had the girl just sit at the fence and I would treat Pip every time she looked at the girl or walked near the fence. Eventually I had Pip eating treats out of her hand!!! (I told the girl not to try to give her treats or pet her unless I'm outside, of course. Just in case Pippin would get spooked.) But I'm super excited about this progress!
  • Bedtime mischief

    Behavioral Issues
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    4k Views
    V
    gbroxon - that is too funny. Dogs love stinky! Cami has settled down a lot. She was hyper the first few days and has now settled into a nice calm pattern. My other dogs aren't Baenjis, so she is learning that "crazy" isn't going to fly in this household. Cami boxes my old Eskie's head and he doesn't know what to make of it. Being the only male, he gets lots of attention from the girls.
  • Vet aggression

    Behavioral Issues
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    9k Views
    MacPackM
    Take a small rubber backed rug, like a bathroom rug, to put on the metal table, then it won't slip and he will have good footing, and the smell of home to comfort him. Combined with all of the above positive reinforcement and lots of 'drop in' vet visits. Anne in Tampa
  • Leash aggression??

    Behavioral Issues
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    9k Views
    basenjibratzB
    @Quercus: That sounds ideal! I do love the head collars…the ONLY drawback is so many dogs have fits when they wear them. But the control is awesome, particularly for reactive dogs. Glad it is working for you! Oh yes, Talker had a fit when he was younger and I tried the collar. I gave up because I felt so bad for him. I don't know what changed this time–whether I was calmer or he mellowed out or what, but he accepted the halti this time around and I'm loving it. There were so many times that he would be so anxious to be out walking that getting him to stop pulling was tiresome and the walks were not enjoyable. We were constantly stopping and starting and stopping and starting to re-adjust ourselves. Now, we just walk. Loving the halti!:)
  • Sudden Aggressive Behaviour

    Behavioral Issues
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    P
    We have already started the positive reinforcement. My 12 year old daughter is very good with him, and she feeds him in the morning. He is always fed in his crate, and we always thought it was cute and funny that as we were putting the food in his dish he was crawling underneath us to get to it. That changed last night. When I was putting water in his dish I made him wait until I had finished. He was trying to drink it through the bars as I poured it. My hubby and daughter have both read the article I printed out. I think Paige will better follow it as my hubby is very softhearted and all our dogs run our life because he simply can't dominate them.