• Hi Everyone
    My name is Angee and I live in Brisbane, Australia.
    We have just bought an 8 week old Basenji we called Bandit.
    We also have at home a 2 year old Lowchen we call Alfie….. we are hoping they will become great mates.
    I would love to hear from other members.
    Keep safe

• Hi Angee. Bandit's a good name for a basenji. I never heard of a Lowchen. What kind of dog is that?

• Hey there! Welcome aboard. Congratulations on the new addition. I can't wait to see pictures. Looking forward to seeing BOTH dogs…. isn't the Lowchen called the lion dog?

• @jenwilson:

Hey there! Welcome aboard. Congratulations on the new addition. I can't wait to see pictures. Looking forward to seeing BOTH dogs…. isn't the Lowchen called the lion dog?

Hey Jen
    Yes that's right, Alfie is a lion dog. When showing these dogs, people keep the front section long and shave the hind quarters which resembles a lion.
    We don't do this to Alfie, we keep him trimmed all over for his comfort and ease of grooming. The Lowchen has a big kind heart and a very playful loving nature and is quite active. Alfie is 2 years old and is my constant companion well until now - we have Bandit.

I am trying to discipline Bandit our Basenji and when I tap him on the rump for being naughty he turns around baring his teeth. He's adorable but I don't want him to keep doing this as he gets bigger.

Is this normal Basenji behaviour?

• @Lenora:

Hi Angee. Bandit's a good name for a basenji. I never heard of a Lowchen. What kind of dog is that?

Hi Lenora
    A Lowchen is similar to a Bichon Frise and a Lhasa Apso only a bit bigger.
    They are affectionately called the Lion Dog because centuries ago apparently they used to clip the hind quarters and keep the front section long and take them to bed to keep one warm at night. I've been told they originated in Belgium a long time ago.

They have a fun loving and kind nature and give love back 10 fold.
    Eventhough it has only been a week since introducing Bandit into the household, Alfie is playing with Bandit and teaching him doggie do's and don'ts. It's like having 2 kids all over again!!

• @Bandit:

I am trying to discipline Bandit our Basenji and when I tap him on the rump for being naughty he turns around baring his teeth. He's adorable but I don't want him to keep doing this as he gets bigger.

Is this normal Basenji behaviour?

My basenjis hate to be told off and if I ever give them a tap it's sure followed by a growl, but now they understood it was safer for them not to turn round baring their teeth.As puppies I use to just pin them to the floor a hand around their neck untill they settle down.
    When I got Thorn he was 10 month old and the first night had been quite a nightmare. Once I turn him loose in the house I couldn't catch him anymore, and he was releaving himself on the carpet, growling under shelves, I first got bitten then I put my heavy gloves on and caught him with struggle pinned him down and that was it, he even slept in my bed that night, I had him for 6 years now and he never did it again.

• Thank you for your reply Seko.
    Bandit is 11 weeks this Wednesday 6th Sept.
    When he turns around bearing his teeth and growling after being told off for being naughty, I point my finger at him saying a LOUD NO!!
    He doesn't like it, puts his ears back and looks at me.

I have bought a clicker and will attempt to train him and my Lowchen "Alfie" together with liver treats. Wish me luck!! Angee

Suggested Topics