• @dash:

We have offered to foster as well with other orgs just not brat. We have not just not had any response. We do work outside the home and I have a 7 year old. I disagree this is not good for a dog. Mine do fine.

I think the point is{Sharron will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure!} , with rescues or dogs that have been in some way traumatized in life, that it is generally better to have someone home with them to work on building trust, stress issues, etc. In those cases, you are not dealing with a normal dog, and often times a normal home is not adequate to repair the damage done by previous owners or life experiences.

NOT that dogs in general can't do fine in homes w/working couples.

• Thank you, exactly!
    Most of us have to work outside the home.
    If the dogs are not in the house, part of the family, then they are basically yard art that moves.
    Really, think about the time you do spend on a dog that isn't up on the couch with you, loving you when you read or rest.
    We work, come home, dinner, kids things to do, and "oh, yes" feed the dogs outside and make sure they have water.
    They end up with so little human time, its really sad.
    Rescue dogs need to learn trust and having them with you inside, is the only way to do that.

• Luzmery, There are 2 dogs available/pending in NY. Contact the cordinator for each of these dogs and let her know what you are looking for and a bit about yourself. That way she can keep an eye out for a dog that works for you. They, I think, are in NY and can schedule a home visit for you.
    That is what I had to do for my dog. At the time there were none in IN. My BRAT coordinator came and did a home visit and got to know me and my life. Then, when a dog became available that matched me she let me know and I adopted him.
    Dont give up. The people that volunteer for BRAT may have full time jobs, lots of applicants to go through, or a personal issue going on and cant get to you right away.
    Also, look closer around you or just a few states away, that way people are more willing to help schedule a transport (but also expect to drive some 🙂 ) I have helped on 2 the last few months.
    And also know that if there is not a "perfect fit" posted on the available dog list, there may be one in the works that has not been posted yet (my squiggy was never posted).
    Christy
    Indiana Screener
    B.R.A.T Rescue

• thanks I will do that right now

• @ChristyRutherford:

Luzmery, There are 2 dogs available/pending in NY. Contact the cordinator for each of these dogs and let her know what you are looking for and a bit about yourself. That way she can keep an eye out for a dog that works for you. They, I think, are in NY and can schedule a home visit for you.

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I wanted to send the coordinators an e-mail but it just takes me to the form for that particular dog. Unfortunantly we are looking for a younger dog fofr our 1 1/2 yr old B so how can I contact them directly to explain our current situation and request a home visit?

Thanks again for your help.

• @luzmery928:

@ChristyRutherford:

Luzmery, There are 2 dogs available/pending in NY. Contact the cordinator for each of these dogs and let her know what you are looking for and a bit about yourself. That way she can keep an eye out for a dog that works for you. They, I think, are in NY and can schedule a home visit for you.

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I wanted to send the coordinators an e-mail but it just takes me to the form for that particular dog. Unfortunantly we are looking for a younger dog fofr our 1 1/2 yr old B so how can I contact them directly to explain our current situation and request a home visit?

Thanks again for your help.

Sharon may be better able to answer this. But the coordinators will still get your email. So in the body of one of the questions just let them know what you are looking for and that you understand that this particular dog is not for you, but that you are very interested in adopting one that is a better fit and need to set up your home visit.
    I will check to see if there is a better way, but for now that will probably work.

• Yes, that should work.
    I know there are pairs of b's that are needing homes, and the coordinators are open to transport…if that would be something that will work for this family.
    There are a few things that will make it harder to adopt.
    Young children are one thing. Having a dog be an outside dog is another.
    Using an electric fence as containment is also an issue.
    When I deal with adopters, I try to be kind but honest with them re the chances of their finding a rescue dog for that family.
    This way, we don't set them up for disappointments.

• Well I have received a respond using the above suggestions…THANK"S SO MUCH...I really feel we are on our way to our new furry child.

• I really do believe that the right dog will find the right family.
    Its often not the first dog we find, but waiting for the correct fit is
    so worth it.
    Its so tough when we want to help b's and just don't find one.
    We are all cheering you on!
    Do keep us updated on your quest.

• Will do..thanks for all the help

• Just wanted to give you all a BIG THANKS for the great advise about contacting the BRAT coordinator directly. I am now scheduled for a home vist next wed. I am really excited and hoping it goes well. Wish me luck!

• Oh, I do so hope it works out for you and the dog you can help.
    Do keep us informed.

• Hey Sharron,
    Is BRAT going to start DNA testing the rescues to see if they are affected before placement?

• I think that is an excellent question and I will ask.
    I know I did for my 2 b's who are my pets.

• Can I trust that the B I get, hopefully soon, is in good health if they come from BRAT?

• @sharronhurlbut:

What are you disagreeing to exactly?

Sorry, I have be in Las Vegas the past couple days. I disagree that dogs can't do well in homes where the owners work during the day as well as have small children, whether in a foster situation or not.

• @JazzysMom:

I think the point is{Sharron will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure!} , with rescues or dogs that have been in some way traumatized in life, that it is generally better to have someone home with them to work on building trust, stress issues, etc. In those cases, you are not dealing with a normal dog, and often times a normal home is not adequate to repair the damage done by previous owners or life experiences.

NOT that dogs in general can't do fine in homes w/working couples.

I agree that this can be the case with some dogs but not the norm.I don't believe that most dogs in pounds come from traumatized homes. I think most come from owners that don't want to deal with behavior issues, are moving away or just plain don't want to deal with the dogs at all.

• Most of us have to work outside the home.
    BRAT has found that homes with small children, have little time to add rescue dogs to their families, successfully.
    These families often "bounce" a rescue basenji back to the group, which is hard on the dogs and the familes.
    So, they have set up a policy that homes with children under the age of 8 have to have board approval.
    So, I am assuming you have small children, and work…and have b's.
    How do you do it?

• I have found that most rescue dogs always have issues, be it seperation anx or housebreaking, something.
    I am speaking of basenjis, not the general run of the mill dog.

• Easily. My son is 7 and is here every other week. He has sports which my dogs attend with us. If for whatever reason, like the last couple days when we went to Vegas, they stayed at my boyfriends parents house with their dog.

My boyfriend and I have a different work schedules so the dogs aren't alone for more than 7 hours IN GENERAL. Things have come up but that is the norm.They are in a ex-pen together so they have each other as company.

I respects BRATs choice to have these policy's. I guess I didn't notice that when I offered to foster or adopt that they would not accept fosters or adopters who had kids or worked. But I have noticed the trend while reading the rescue board.

Suggested Topics