Skip to content

Need some hunting info

Basenji Training
  • Greetings,

    I am new to this board and we live in south La. We are looking to start hunting Basenjis on Rabbit/Hare soon but wanted to hear from other experienced hunters.

    Personaly, the rabbit hunting w/Basenjis will be new to me. But, I believe this is important because it preserves and enchances this breed's natural abilties and instincts. It keeps the breed true.

    I was refered to a Jeff Schettler by this duck hunting peerson but I have no contact links to him.

  • @Cazador:

    Greetings,

    I am new to this board and we live in south La. We are looking to start hunting Basenjis on Rabbit/Hare soon but wanted to hear from other experienced hunters.

    Personaly, the rabbit hunting w/Basenjis will be new to me. But, I believe this is important because it preserves and enchances this breed's natural abilties and instincts. It keeps the breed true.

    I was refered to a Jeff Schettler by this duck hunting peerson but I have no contact links to him.

    I have never hunted my Basenji's, but have thought about trying them on upland game as I've trained a pointer in the past and find it very interesting.
    I don't know how a Basenji would work out hunting rabbits in the traditional way(shotguns) as I would think they would tail too close to the game to shoot safely.

  • @Cazador:

    Greetings,

    I am new to this board and we live in south La. We are looking to start hunting Basenjis on Rabbit/Hare soon but wanted to hear from other experienced hunters.

    Personaly, the rabbit hunting w/Basenjis will be new to me. But, I believe this is important because it preserves and enchances this breed's natural abilties and instincts. It keeps the breed true.

    I was refered to a Jeff Schettler by this duck hunting peerson but I have no contact links to him.

    Jeff is in Northern California, Lisa might have his email address, I can't find it at the moment….. but if she doesn't I will look for it...

  • Here is the link for Jeff's yahoo group. It is "The Basenji Native Traits Preservation Project". I am a moderator there, but it is Jeff's baby. Please join, and share your experiences.

    http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/BNTPP/

  • Thanks for posting that Vegas!!!!!! I could not remember the yahoo group name either…

Suggested Topics

  • Hunting Dog Training

    Basenji Training
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    15k Views
    sanjibasenjiS
    @sanjibasenji Looks like you said that difference in your second post, so we are on the same page.
  • Hunting with Basenji

    Basenji Training
    28
    2 Votes
    28 Posts
    24k Views
    RogueCoyoteR
    i bet that when rogues adult teeth come in she will be able to do the egg test though. she has a very soft touch when she wants to.
  • Hunting maniac

    Basenji Training
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    9k Views
    wizardW
    All my beasties have had strong prey drive (not too far down the line from African heritage) and it has taken a lot of work to partially control this. If you can find a special treat (takes trial and error but piece of steak maybe) that the dog gets ONLY when responding to "come", whistle, or whatever you use for recall, and work that relentlessly and regularly, then you can develop the "whiplash turn" (as described in "Control Unleashed"). BUT this takes a lot of consistent work and finding the right treat isn't easy. My 2nd male would instantly turn away from a squirrel when I used the whistle (even when on a dead run after a creature) but I have yet to find the right treat for my current female who sometimes will respond nicely. I'm still working on her.
  • Tips on house training needed

    Basenji Training
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    8k Views
    wizardW
    Gbroxon - no big deal. No one knew Luny (aka Tommy) would exhibit SA and especially not in such a severe form. And I understood what you were thinking - about people dumping dogs. One of my stupid neighbors has gone that route (they've had 6 different dogs in 3 years - I won't talk to them anymore). And I don't know how many times I've come across people who say "oh what a pretty dog, I'd like one like that" when they see me walking my dog. I almost always discourage them from getting a basenji (with that attitude no dog would be good for them). So I'm with you there.
  • Help needed w/hunting study

    Basenji Training
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    4k Views
    No one has replied
  • NEED an answer to my crating question.

    Basenji Training
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    8k Views
    jennifereverJ
    he's got a crate, and sleeps in it from time-to-time. as far as accidents go, he's had a couple. i bought puppy floor pads, and hes used them once, but never again. :( luckily i see that once he eats, whatever form thelast time he ate comes out, so i can time when to take him out. another thing – he doesnt eat his food! he always eating the cat food, and wont eat unless i sit on the floor with him, and hand feed him a few kibbles until he's like "hmm this isnt so bad" and finishes the bowl. & it's weird because im feeding him the same stuff his last woner did,. so its not like i completely changed his food.. :(