• If you are looking for something more to guard-try a beauceron, australian cattle dog (they have a tail the australian shepherd has no tail), or a Belgian Malinois (45-60 lbs usually),or even believe it or not a boxer. These are more loyal, have the guard background, are bred more for what you are looking for.

Please don't take offense to what I said in my earlier post. I kind of get upset when people try to take a dog and do something they're not designed for.

• You may be interested in a Visla or a Pharoah hound. They are sleek, strong, ancient and short haired. They bark and can be trained like any dog. Both are medium sized but have that doberman physique in a smaller dog.

Vislas are very good if you want a dog that wont dash once you establish your rules. I dont know much about the Pharoah hound other than it is an ancient breed, nice size, and can bark.

• No offense taken. Like I said, it's the same in the reptile world… People think snakes are such cool pets, then after they feed it, it's suddenly not so cool. 😉

I was thinking I'd get a pit bull maybe. I'm one of those people who stand behind the breed. I know a few people who have pits, and they are the lovingest dogs I've ever seen! My friend's pit loves me, even though it's seen me a total of twice in its year or so that it has been alive. Also, the dog lives with a cat and a chihuahua, and they have no problems together. 🙂

Pits are outstanding companions. 🙂

I did some research on the Pharaoh Hound, and it is very similar in nature to the Basenji, without the wildness... Yet, most places I looked said that they should not be housed with cats, as they are sight/scent hounds and hunting dogs as well, same with the Basenji. Also, they "should not be trusted off the leash in an unconfined area," according to www.dogbreedinfo.com. 😕

I haven't really looked into the Viszla much, but I think I will. 🙂

Again, I thank you guys for telling me what's up. Like I said, I'd rather come here and gain some knowledge than go to a pet store and waste 300+ bucks on a dog that I'd end up giving away in the end. 😕

• CK

To bring the fun back into this post a bit… Who else agrees that cropped ears (especially super-cropped or fighting-crop) are lame? :p

• I did it once many, many years ago to a Schnauzer-never, EVER again. Poor thing cried and cried. Have never done it to my boxer's and never will-I'm glad the rules are changing in favour of not doing it!

Oh, and about the reptile thing-my daughter has had a spider (tarantuala-rose-haired mexican) for at least 10 years-she's 22 now and has always taken care of it. It's a thing for some people and for others it's not.

• I prefer natural ears….

• I had a Doberman years ago whose ears had not been cropped. She was ADORABLE….. the non-cropped ears sure took away from the serious guard dog look they usually have. LOL She looked {and was} harmless!

• I agree, I love the look on a Dobie with natural ears…. and a Dane too!!!...

• @nomrbddgs:

Oh, and about the reptile thing-my daughter has had a spider (tarantuala-rose-haired mexican) for at least 10 years-she's 22 now and has always taken care of it. It's a thing for some people and for others it's not.

Exactly my point. 🙂

Same goes with dog breeds… You couldn't see Gen. George Patton having a Toy Poodle, could ya!? You couldn't see Paris Hilton with a Mastiff or a Rottie! 😉

I'm just not a Basenji guy. Pits, on the other hand, I think are more what I'm looking for. Obedient, loving, great companions, and a whole lot of fun at dog sporting events like weight pulling and obedience courses... I might just have to get into this! 🙂

Anyone have any information about dog sports organizations? 🙂

• CK

• Check out the www.akc.org website..it'll give you info on breeds & various events for different types of dogs.

And if you're interested in a hound of sorts…checkout the www.asfa.org website!

• CeeKay,
    with your interest in Pits, you may want to look at http://www.wpbtca.com/ and for a really cool and useful "sport" check out
    http://www.finographics.com/schutzhund/sport.html

Also, just for another point of interest for someone interested in defending the breed, check out http://www.lawdogsusa.org/hemi.html

Suggested Topics