• Thank you @JKent, I definitely think we'll be moving him to our room tonight. Other than bedtime and our dinner time he's been so good throughout the day! So if this makes him more comfortable I will give it a go!! Really appreciate your help.

• @ashleigh1994 - My Basenjis sleep in crates in the bedroom, when they were small the door is closed, that way I know when they wake and can quickly take them out to go quick potty then back in the crates, now they prefer to sleep in their crates and the door is open. The only time that they choose to sleep in bed is if they are not feeling well. So for them, the crate is a happy place and they are happy to have their own space. Again it is their choice. However, that said, we all get a good nights sleep..LOL

• @ashleigh1994 I had the same issue with my male when I put him in the crate alone. I also have a female and I ended putting them in together.

I found that because they like to be in a “cave like” setting, I covered the crate with a blanket so it’s dark and put some inside that had my smell on it and he slept all night. When I tell them it’s “nite nite” they both go inside and know it’s bedtime.

I hope that helps! 😊

Cheers!

• I see that everyone thinks the crate belongs in the bedroom. Though
    this may make him happier it worked for me not to have our pup in our room. Not every human you live with will go along with this plan. If the crate is large enough for a favorite dog toy and his own blanket he will eventually adjust.
    Would he be happier in bed with you or in your room, sure. But it is your house and you are allowed to have some off limits rooms. The first few months can be rough. But it is worth it.

• I don't use crates in the house at all, never have, but there are gates and the pack has always lived in the kitchen with access to the garden UNLESS invited through of an evening to sit on laps and watch TV or hinder crochet or knitting.

Now things are slightly more relaxed because Mku can open gates. I am trying to figure out a way to make them Mku-proof.

Away at shows, dogs have always been bed-dogs. It was part of their reward for spending a day crated at the show. But I no longer show and when Hoover crossed the Bridge, Mku was inconsolable on his own in the kitchen so came to bed with me.

And now we are three - Kito comes too.

• @zande said in Crate Training Struggles:

I am trying to figure out a way to make them Mku-proof.

zip ties?

• @elbrant - Would be a bit difficult for the humans to open with zip ties.... so that humans can get through.... LOL, that said the Basenji could figure those out also!

• What are zip ties ? We already have a large cabin hook on one side and a chain which locks into a ring on the other. The cabin hook he hits upwards till he gets it out. The chain is still posing a slight problem, it is on the side he isn't but he perseveres until it comes out.

• @zande said in Crate Training Struggles:

What are zip ties ? We already have a large cabin hook on one side and a chain which locks into a ring on the other. The cabin hook he hits upwards till he gets it out. The chain is still posing a slight problem, it is on the side he isn't but he perseveres until it comes out.

What about something like this?
    0_1613421991998_hook.png

You have to hold back the spring to pull up the hook....

• @tanza said in Crate Training Struggles:

Would be a bit difficult for the humans to open with zip ties....

You might be right. I suppose it depends on the gate and fencing style. Just a guess.

• @zande - Can you put a eye bolt below the cabin hook that you could attach a snap locks on that would lock the gate to not be able to be released? Like on a crate when you have a "critter" that can open crate doors, we use snap locks to secure? but with this you can easily release. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F9LN2XD/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?

• @tanza Trouble is, it is only the gate from the kitchen to the rest of the house. I need to be able to get through it easily and possibly with my hands full.

The gate is actually saloon style half-doors which only swing one way and which are set close to the floor. So I can see over them but only one dog has ever cleared - by climbing the louvres to get to a bitch we had just taken in and who was, unbeknown to us, in season.

(The resulting singleton pup which we kept, was Top Brood Bitch in Breed in about 1989. So Deeds could certainly pick his wives well !)

The cabin hook Mku can undo, easily. When I put the chain on on the other side, he opens it wide enough to let Kito through but can't get through himself, not every time. But he does try. And often manages to get the chain off.

I am thinking of a bolt on the side of the chain, just below it. So that can be shot across if I am really desperate to keep him in the kitchen. I need for the doors not to swing even a bit open to let Kito through if I'm out. He'd scream and do damage in the stairwell and hallway.

Simon will be here again on Wednesday and he can think what to do.

I Hope !

• @eeeefarm said in Crate Training Struggles:

What about something like this?

A cabin hook on a spring ? yes, that could well do the trick. I will google one forthwith - thank you !

Suggested Topics