• He is a teenager - he will try to assert himself but simply mustn't be allowed to. Did you try him on a Gentle Leader ? If he is being aggressive at the dog park, the moment he first shows ANY sign of it, on a short lead and march him home. NO more playing. As @eeeefarm says, it isn't fair to other dogs and it does no good for the reputation of Basenjis. And you must not let him win.

You have to assert yourself and let him know he can't get away with it. A great many dogs are resentful and more aggressive if they are on a lead. They feel vulnerable, unable to protect themselves.

There are herbal remedies and calmatives. One which springs to mind - and I just googled it - you can get it on-line, is Nutracalm. It is available especially for dogs and cats. Be careful to get the right one ! A friend used it some 20 or so years ago now and found it took a while to take effect, i.e. her dog was on in for a few weeks before she noticed any difference but then yes, it did work.

Try that -

I honestly do not believe neutering in this sort of instance will do the slightest good. As has been discussed on other threads - its a question of wills. You are bigger than Taco and older, and more experienced and you are going to win.

• Thanks everyone. This was the first time he showed aggression at the dogpark - all previous times he was 100%. Today I think was a bit of bad luck, a few young alpha males in the one area. (Where I live we don't have those kinds of rules re: neutered-only dogs at dogparks, although it makes sense. Generally people know not to bring a female in season but nothing is enforced.) I will definitely follow all of that advice, thank you. I guess I was a bit afraid to just put a lead on him afterwards in case it made him even more frustrated.. Does that make sense? I'm definitely not considering neutering as I know he is still a teen. It just seems to have gotten worse in the last few weeks for no apparent reason! Must be hormones then.

@zande I will look into the gentle leader thanks, I have been meaning to do that!

• @alibobo said in castrate or not:

@zande I will look into the gentle leader thanks, I have been meaning to do that!

You'll wish you'd done it weeks ago ! Good luck !

Suggested Topics