• There are many occasions when forum members want to exchange personal information (email addressses, cellphone #s, etc.), or discuss something privately. The forum offers a "chat" function that's perfect for this. Let's use it.

1. Connect to a forum members profile page by clicking on a their icon or screenname, or alternately by typing in their profile URL (https://basenjiforums.com/user/screenname).
      0_1584547888964_startchatting.PNG

2. Initiate the chat by clicking on the chat Icon (located on the left side of their banner, under the large icon). A chatroom will open at the bottom right hand part of your screen. 0_1584548188294_chaticon.PNG

3. Add more people to the chatroom by typing their screen name next to the first persons name. 0_1584549072085_addchatnames.PNG

4. Expanding the size of the chatroom can make it more comfortable to use. Just click on the diagonal arrows. 0_1584549463272_expandchat.PNG

5. Close the chat with the " × " on the right side of the chat header.

• @elbrant - As I understand this for many years this is still NOT a private chat... maybe it has changed but I don't think so... I believe that the forum owner and the people that now monitor have access... which does not make it private. If this is not the case now, not something that I have been aware of... Before you put this out that people might think this is private, you need to review with the list owner. This and along with the fact that pictures become the property of the forum owner one of the reasons that I did not want to be a monitor

• @tanza I think the chat area is private.

With all my "moderator" tricks and tools, I cannot find any way to access anyone's chat (with the exception of those I have initiated and those I have been included in).

If someone wants to test this, I invite them to visit my profile page and see if they can access any of my chat dialogues. If you can, send me a screenshot of the browser window and I will post their success (not the screenshot). I will also speak with the forum owners about changing it.

• @elbrant - You can speak to the forum owner but in the past they were not private... so I do not use them for anything other than pretty straight up comments or to refer them to my website to contact me directly. And in any case I would prefer that I am contacted privately and not on this forum and I have been on this forum for many, many years since it was started

• Personally I never assume anything on the internet is private, unless you are using encryption. Certainly I would not assume Facebook or other social media has secure private messages or chats. Even regular email can be suspect. If you want to know how insecure our information is, google some of Edward Snowden's youtube interviews! So my rule of thumb is I am not putting anything on line that I would not put on a postcard. That said, I think for the purposes of exchanging information on a forum, chat is probably adequate to keep out prying eyes unless the person spying is a tech, and then why would they bother?

• @eeeefarm said in How to: Chatroom Basics:

unless you are using encryption

FYI, the server the forum is on is encrypted. HTTPS is HTTP with encryption. Regardless, as you point out.. this is a forum about the Basenji dog breed, "why would they bother?".

[correction: bad edit]

• The forum rules are ambiguous on this point.

****"USING THE PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM

The private message system of the forums allows you to send messages to other members in private. Where applicable, the same guidelines apply to the private message system as apply to messages posted on the forums.

Sending any unrequested commercial and/or bulk message through the private message system may result in an immediate suspension of posting privileges. Furthermore, any reports of harassment via the PM system will be fully investigated. To report an abusive or unwanted PM, please contact the admin.

Private message system is currently disabled due to abuse and spam. Please do not try to use public visitor messages to communicate private information to other members. These messages are public and are moderated by our staff."****

So, are they private or are they not? I wasn't clear about encryption. Yes, htpps, secure site. I meant to suggest emails, which are often not encrypted, therefor not so secure as people think.

• @eeeefarm said in How to: Chatroom Basics:

So, are they private or are they not?

The reference to the "public visitor messages" would indicate the typical posts (like this one). Pretty much anybody can see them. Note: there is no way to send a post to just this person or that one. Clearly not private.

But... are the chatrooms private (or not)?

The phrase, "private message system", would refer to the chatrooms, "the same guidelines apply" refers to the "the posting rules", "courtesy", etc. (i.e.; no spam). Yes, it says it is disabled, however, I have been using it on a regular basis. In fact, I let @Redial know anytime I ban a spam account via the chatroom(s). It helps keep us on the same page.

Can the site owners read that chatroom transcripts? Sure. As an Internet Programmer, I know that the content of each chatroom has to be stored somewhere on the server. But unless there is a complaint that someone is sending spam through the chatroom, or bashing another member, or otherwise misusing it... there's no reason for the site owner to bother.

Can the moderator(s) read the chatroom transcripts? Not to my knowledge. Maybe someone with a higher clearance could, but I can not.

So, with all of that in consideration: I feel like it's a safe environment. If you want to provide an email address to someone, or continue a separate conversation, I would recommend a chatroom.

(p.s. I agree, email is not as secure as any of us would want it to be.)

• @elbrant said in How to: Chatroom Basics:

So, with all of that in consideration: I feel like it's a safe environment. If you want to provide an email address to someone, or continue a separate conversation, I would recommend a chatroom.

In any case, I don't like the idea of passing on anyone's email address (or phone number) without their permission. I prefer to get in touch and ask first.

I have used private messaging, mostly when advice has become confused and people have contacted me and asked for clarification. I'm sure this is often the case with others. Conversations then generally move to emails.

• @zande said in How to: Chatroom Basics:

I don't like the idea of passing on anyone's email address (or phone number) without their permission.

oh, no.... your own contact information, not someone else's!

• You had me worried ! My contact information is in my signature block, directly or indirectly -

• @zande I don't have a problem with that. But, I have been "alarmed" that (some) members are adding their private phone numbers inside posts. I'd love for them to offer that information in a chat instead.

• So come right out and say so !
    Don't obfuscate by posting lessons in using private conversations -

• @zande - That is where mine is also, I prefer people go to my website, link in my signature block and pick up my email addy....

So come right out and say so !
    Don't obfuscate by posting lessons in using private conversations -

Agree Zande.....

So come right out and say so !

I do. Everytime I go back to a post and edit out the information, replacing it with "[private email/cell#]". I follow up by personally contacting that member via chat, and

I did. On the first line of the instructions: "...when forum members want to exchange personal information (email addressses, cellphone #s, etc.), or discuss something privately..."

What gave you the impression that there was a problem with anyone's signature?

• Out of curiosity - how is Len ? Some of us are extremely worried that he hasn't been around for a few weeks. We've known him, personally, for years and would be glad if you could confirm he is at least acknowledging your communications even if he is not taking part in the Forum.

I don't like to intrude but will email his wife if you are not in contact with him, but you are our first port of call. He was not in the best of health of late, although fine when I stayed with them.

• @zande I would encourage anyone to keep in touch with their "old friends". Maybe you could send it via a "chat"?

• @elbrant You said you informed Redial of any alterations / edits you made to posts on the Forum.

So the first thought is - does he respond ?

I know them well enough - over years and visits to each other's houses / countries, I don't need to contact via the Forum. I hoped you would be able to confirm you were actually in contact and that he is OK

But, from your reply, it would seem you are not in touch with him ? You just inform him but don't get a response ?

Oh dear.

does he respond ?

This is a matter of decorum. I do not believe that I should discuss personal/private information about any member publically. If you know this person, and are concerned about their well being, then by all means, please contact them.

Suggested Topics