• I have always wanted to show dogs. I am very interested in showing, basenjis in particular because I love the breed.

How do I get started? I know I am not getting a puppy this year, but maybe next year or the year after.

Do you think a local breeder would point me in the right direction or would they be closed lipped because competition?

Any advice?

• Go along to a few shows - big and small. TALK to the breeders / handlers and owners. And listen. So many newbies fail to hear what they are told ! But that is the place to start.

And believe me, handling your own dog and maybe even finishing it eventually, beats watching a professional handler doing it into a cocked hat.

OK, it might take a little longer but its well worth the effort !

• I don't have a problem with handlers. Some good breeders have disabilities or simply hate being in the ring. But I'm totally with Sally about going to shows and meeting breeders, seeing dogs, getting a feel for who is around you. I've seen breeds with breeders that are as far from welcoming as is possible, unless you got a pup from them. When we got our first basenji, the other breeders could not have been nicer or more supportive.

You can check your local club and ask if there are handling classes. While you wait on getting a well bred puppy, you can be honing your skills. An all breed handling class is most common, but the local club may know who is sponsoring them. You can go, watch a few times, ask if someone is willing to bring an extra dog for you to work with... maybe even a retired champion who can show you the ropes. 🙂

Assuming you are in the US, breeders are listed by state on the right.

https://www.basenji.org/about-basenjis/breeder-directory

• I guess I should also add I do currently have a basenji! He is a yearish old, two this spring. He is intact (but we are soon clipping him I think)

We got him from a private owner who imported him. He’s not registered though

Thank you for the advice! I will look into the club in my area. Missouri (St Louis area) btw

• Why would you "clip" him?

• @evillemon

Well there you have a dog to practice handling on. I understand the difficulties of having an intact dog, but it could be over a year until you get another puppy, and another few months for a female to be in heat, Therefore you have an option of putting off neutering at least until he is older. There are growing concerns about neutering and those opting to basically do a vasectomy.

• @evillemon said in How to start showing:

He is intact (but we are soon clipping him I think)

Whatever for ??? Don't even think it - It serves no useful purpose.

I guess I should also add I do currently have a basenji! He is a yearish old, two this spring. He is intact (but we are soon clipping him I think)
    Thank you for the advice! I will look into the club in my area. Missouri (St Louis area) btw

I assumed she meant neutering

• @debradownsouth
    Yes we figured we will wait until he is at least two before we make any decisions on neutering him.

I actually did make contact with a local club and am meeting up with them tomorrow!

Yes I didn’t figure we would have a puppy until (at the soonest) next winter time. I’d like to have an idea of what I am doing in regards to training before I get a puppy.

I personally have never had a basenji puppy, only older dogs. My husband has had basenji puppies before though. He was wanting a puppy this year, but we found this yearling needing a home so we went that route instead.

Yes we figured we will wait until he is at least two before we make any decisions on neutering him.

Two is still far too young. He needs to have achieved structural and hormonal maturity. If you are adamant you are going to cut him, wait at least until he is three. Or four. Or five. And then maybe the need to do it will have disappeared.

@debradownsouth

I can understand why you might want to neuter a female but a male? Agree you need to wait. Most of the reasons advanced to neuter come from groups with an agenda but without solid science. Generally speaking the health risks of neutering outweigh any benefits and there is no effect on behavior. In my experience, having an intact male Basenji never presented any issues at all. Unless you just let your dog roam free I can't think of a single good reason to do it.

Suggested Topics