• @jalex Grab her gently around the muzzle/nose (think your middle finger and thumb) and strongy say "No Bite!". Holding her around the nose like that is similar to what her mother would do to discipline her. Be gentle but firm, she will eventually learn.

BTW I think you may have a full bred Basenji pup who will eventually grow into those giant ears. Think of her as being in those awkward tween years. Many shelters mislabel Basenjis that aren't the more typical red & white coloring.

• @jalex said in New pup!:

@senjisilly i read in quite a few different places that looking at their teeth is an issue. She wont let me do anything actually but she does let me hold her. Its been a rough week. As with any dog/breed you need to be sure theyre a fit for your family and so far if she is a B I'm struggling to believe itll work out but we're trying! I appreciate the input and guidance, thank you!

She's a puppy. Her behaviors are puppy behavior... period. Puppies bite, they do what they can get away with. She is darling, she definitely looks very basenji. But if you really have doubts, contact basenji rescue and let them find her a home while she's still a puppy. Frankly, I suspect you are letting BASENJI close your vision. They have quirks, but overall no better or worse than most breeds. All dogs take patience and that you be at least as persistent as they are.

At her age, she doesn't get the option of "won't allow me to do anything." Without yelling, hitting or rough behavior, you really can turn it all around. Right now is the time she must learn you can check her teeth, look between her toes, check her ears, etc. At some point in life, it may be critical, so training her NOW is important. But it can also be relationship building and fun. 🙂

Mary has one of the easiest to follow sites. You just start working on training so that she comes to see you as the one to guide her. To entertain her by helping her use her brain. It will be okay. 🙂

Training on left, issues on right:
    http://www.clickerlessons.com/index.htm

You have a world of help here, you can do this. 🙂

Suggested Topics