Skip to content

Basenji mix?

Basenji Talk
  • What's your thoughts. We got our new puppy last year from a rescue, best guess maybe a whippet/Terrior mix.. she is very fast! Then I came upon the pictures of Basenjis. She has their look but is about twice their size..doesn't have a typical dog bark but doesn't have the curly basenji tail.. clearly a mix and I know a DNA test is possible just wanted your knowledgeable thoughts on if you think she might be part basenji? Thank you. !!!0_1506730991566_IMG_7603.JPG

  • Very cute. I don't really see basenji but maybe a standing side view might help. How big is she?

  • I am no expert but I looked at the photo before reading your post and I thought it was one. The classic white shoulders, upright ears, pointed nose and shape of face....I agree a profile view would add but it would not be hard to convince me this dog has some basenji genes.

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji Mix ?

    Basenji Talk
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    16k Views
    dmcartyD
    @Kembe 1 hardly any podengo dna on file and honestly the guess your breed tests are just that. Phot in field looks more podengo Close up basenji. Enjoy your dog. Fyi I raised basenjis since 1982 and Podengo grande since 2007
  • Is she a basenji mix

    Basenji Talk
    24
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    14k Views
    X
    [image: 1604951020523-16049528432382171393248497095706-resized.jpg]
  • Basenji? Mixed with?

    Basenji Talk
    16
    4 Votes
    16 Posts
    12k Views
    M
    he doesn't look half to me better get a test to be sure
  • A basenji mix?

    Basenji Talk
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    10k Views
    Buddys PalB
    Hello, you are a great person to try her with all her problems. Do not use leash, maybe you can find a good halter? That way she will trust you more because it is different feeling.
  • Basenji Mix ?

    Basenji Talk
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    13k Views
    BasenjimammaB
    , even the strange voices seem to appear in many pariah type dogs. I can so see that, Moses, our almost 9 month old portuguese podengo grande sounds just like a howlling, yodeling basenji at times, then he breaks into this excruciatingly loud bark..
  • Basenjis mixed with ????

    Basenji Talk
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    18k Views
    QuercusQ
    @Larka: The weird thing about the Dobie that made us think maybe Basenji is that the white spots on her are all the same markings that my Basenji mix has. Is there a dog that has the same markings as a Basenji? Lots of dogs. That white pattern is called Irish Spotting. Off the top of my head…collies, border collies, australian shepherds, boxers, great danes...I am sure there are bunches more...