Skip to content

New to the basenji breed

Member Introductions
  • Hello, my melly is a tricolor basenji Sheppard mix. She is adorable. I didn't know about the breed till recently when we got the DNA results. I was wondering if any one could tell me about the ears. Mellys ears stand up except the tip unless she is watching the door they go straight up. She has the yodle and is very vocal when she plays. We have her crate trained and she picks up things very easily. Is there any advice someone would give to a person who had adopted a highly energetic diff sick as a basenji mix?

  • Welcome. Would love to see pictures! How old is Melly? If young, the ears may eventually become erect all the time.
    With any dog with high energy, you need to give them physical and mental stimulation. Doing a lot of obedience and lots of exercise will help.

  • She is very smart and listens very well. !! I'll try to post photos when I get more. Still figuring out the settings

  • Welcome to the breed, super cool how you learned from a DNA test! My purebred ears have been fully up since we picked him up, maybe due to the mix?

  • @melly said in New to the basenji breed:

    She is very smart and listens very well. !! I'll try to post photos when I get more. Still figuring out the settings

    If you click on the last symbol, the up arrow, you then choose a photo from your computer and it will post it.

Suggested Topics

  • New Basenji(?) Owner, New to Forum

    Member Introductions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    ?
    Hi, I'm no good at guessing mixes, wonderful that you saved her from a shelter and she is cute, welcome. Jolanda and Kaiser
  • New basenji girl

    Member Introductions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    7k Views
    B
    I would post a picture but I have no idea how.
  • New Member, New to Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    12k Views
    P
    @lra: Is this the Helena that is getting Cassie? Yes that's me and Benkura is Victoria. We are getting more and more excited as the time moves on.
  • New basenji devotee

    Member Introductions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    8k Views
    Rita JeanR
    I will take the badge but all the love they give us back and the stories they give us from everyday life will work for my badge. Candiejohn looks like you ready for lots of fun. Rita Jean
  • New Basenji Puppy

    Member Introductions
    29
    0 Votes
    29 Posts
    15k Views
    BasenjiByTheBayB
    Or it would be more expensive through him because he'd need to mark up for his - or his staff's - time to coordinate. Makes sense - smart to just do it on your own. Both our pups were rescues, but in Bongo's case he was from a shelter so we have no info at all on his pedigree and we were able to register for the test. They don't always operate really quickly, though. Congrats on your beautiful girl! Enjoy!
  • New member wanting to meet new basenji people

    Member Introductions
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    RivermoonR
    HI…welcome! I also have a Rocket Socks kid!!!