Skip to content

Am I feeding him too much, I am new at this!

Basenji Feeding
  • Hello everyone! I've had my boy now for 3 months and I feed him Merricks Duck and sweet potato and I feed him a cup in the morning and a cup at night! Is that too much? Also, should I switch flavor kibble so things won;t be so boring for him? Please give me advice! I want to spoil my baby! :)

  • How is his weight?…. and how is his body type...? Can really feed according to just doing X amount morning and night. For example, my girls get 1/4
    cup 2x a day with a teaspoon of wet food and do quite well... a cup is a bit much, just as a FYI

  • As a general rule for adult dogs B-size for dry food: around 1% of their bodyweight per day.
    For puppies a bit more.
    Also depends on their activity, temperature and the like.
    Just check how close you are to this, and see how the body responds.
    We have found that a little food extra or less can make a difference.

Suggested Topics

  • Raw feeding programs

    Basenji Feeding
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    R
    we still have "butchers" here in Australia. these are usually local shops, that sell meat. After they have cut up the large sides of beef, they are left with some bones. The bones you are after are the breast bone, which is usually discarded as waste, but is good for dogs. Get them to cut the bone (which is about 1 metre (about 1 yard) long), into the size that is good (mine are cut into chunks about 7.5cm (about 3 inches)) or whatever size you want. The cutting is done on a bandsaw so no effort on their behalf. The advantage is that there is no debris left for the motor mower to fling at your windows, or for insects to settle on. Even at the supermarkets there are some to be had, but find out from the meat section when they get deliveries. You will pay more at the supermarkets, but you should not pay more than necessary.
  • New Basenji

    Basenji Feeding
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    20k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    I'd never heard of it so thanks for bringing it up. We have a better chance for that than U.S. brands. (I'm in Israel.)
  • New Wellness Core

    Basenji Feeding
    41
    0 Votes
    41 Posts
    27k Views
    nomrbddgsN
    I understand now. My thoughts run the same line. The families should be tested as much as possible. This gives a truer indication of who is carrier and the probabilites of such. Thanks for the clarification.
  • What should i be feeding my basenji?

    Basenji Feeding
    38
    0 Votes
    38 Posts
    24k Views
    T
    I feed www.vetschoice.com The food I like is the Holistic Health Extension Little Bites and you can order it online and have it shipped directly to you.
  • Raw feeding

    Basenji Feeding
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    No one has replied
  • What Do You Feed Your Basenji

    Basenji Feeding
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    abby_basenjiA
    I feed abby Hills science diet puppy small bites and some times hills puppy in a can mixed with dry.