Skip to content

Twizzlers & Basenjis

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • A Basenji, a Volcano & a Clown Car

    Basenji Talk
    65
    6 Votes
    65 Posts
    27k Views
    ZandeZ
    I hate flexies too which is why I use a gentle leader as a training tool. Mku runs free as all mine have until we are a couple of hundred yards from the carpark. But I don't trust cars which come in and leave at speed and my new knee is still too new to cope with being pulled. He is learning and sometimes I get away with just attaching his lead to his collar. Horses for courses.
  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    12k Views
    P
    @ktiefen1 You would be correct!! Potty Training eventually came easy because ours is so treat motivated....lol. Basic obedience is a challenge for us......ahe is definitely her own girl....and please dont disturb her sleep. You could lose a limb. ::)))))
  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    -1 Votes
    4 Posts
    10k Views
    D
    Where I am it costs about $2K+ for a dog from a breeder for just about any breed. Goldens may be less because the litters are so large. That may seem like a lot, but, as Debra mentions, dogs cost money to care for. After vet bills and boarding fees and food, it matters little what the dog cost to acquire. Leaving true puppy mills out of the discussion, given the costs of being a responsible breeder -- testing, vet bills, feeding -- and how much work breeding is, I can't imagine anyone doing it for the money. That leads to two problems for people looking for dogs. One is that since breeding isn't really lucrative, there aren't a ton of breeders, which means the supply of pups is low. Second is that most Basenji breeders want to place their pups in the best possible homes -- remember they aren't doing it for the money -- which means they're looking for people who have had Basenjis before. Something of a Catch-22.
  • Basenji Mix & Tiny Dogs

    Basenji Talk
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    No one has replied
  • Basenji & air conditioner…

    Basenji Talk
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    10k Views
    L
    Ours love the heat but will definitely mix it up between sun and shade or come inside where it is cool (we have a dog door) In the winter, they can often be found by a heat vent if the fireplace is not on. There is a vent blowing right out below the sink here. [image: TiggerandRoo.jpg] And there is one here that is under the sideboard, but blows out really nicely across a wide area. Often a couple will be here. [image: photo.jpg] Then there is this silly dog that loves heat so much she will sit by the charcoal grill even in the summer. I felt ho hot her head was so I had to get the thermometer out. [image: IMG_0089.jpg]
  • The Other Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    8k Views
    KipawaK
    I read your blog and find it kind of confusing and ….. your comment about "messing with ..." hmmmmmmm.... Anyhow, yes, it is so cool when you come across another basenji, because they totally understand each other and how they want to play. We were fortunate once to have another basenji play chase with Kipawa at a dog park. I just don't think there are many basenjis in the Lower Mainland. :(