• First Basenji's

Reply to having to make your dog's area smaller with your fence. Bullpoopoo!!! That other owner is totally responsible for her dog and if not under control via verbal off leash commands, then that poodle should have been on leash and therefore off your property. What was that other owner thinking? No much and not too clearly for sure!!!!!!!!!! Most cities/counties have leash laws….. besides, small dogs put the B's prey drive in gear....!

• @Buddys:

Reply to having to make your dog's area smaller with your fence. Bullpoopoo!!! That other owner is totally responsible for her dog and if not under control via verbal off leash commands, then that poodle should have been on leash and therefore off your property. What was that other owner thinking? No much and not too clearly for sure!!!!!!!!!! Most cities/counties have leash laws….. besides, small dogs put the B's prey drive in gear....!

The poster stated that the Poodle "was" on a leash, but bolted onto her property 4' (most leashes are 5 to 6' or maybe it was a flexi)…

And this was not a real fence, but a boundry controled by a shock collar on the Basenji. If I was the Basenji, I would have gone after anything that came into my space, especially when there are area's I can't defend without getting shocked.

• What is interesting is that this Basenji apparently welcomes larger dogs that enter her yard to play, so it isn't a straightforward case of defending property. Either she is smarter than the average bear (Basenji) or she has definite preferences and just doesn't like smaller or perhaps same sex dogs. My girl Tamu wanted to kill anything on four legs, never mind the size. I'd say that was brave, but pretty stupid on her part. If not for me, she would have cheerfully taken on a Saint Bernard! (and paid the price, I am sure).

Owners with dogs on leash need to have control of their animals, else the leash is nothing other than a way to be "legal". Once upon a long time ago, before the advent of leash laws, the law in my neck of the woods was the dog must be under the control of the owner. Much better, IMO, then just stipulating on a leash!

• I am also surprised withe this kind of behaviors.If they have to be trained,I don;t think they seems to be harm any one.They are such hammy creature.

• @eeeefarm:

Personally I find this scenario unlikely, if the dog has been properly trained with the fence. I've had quite a bit of experience with different species of animals (horses, dogs, cattle, goats, sheep, etc.) and electric barriers. An animal that has been properly introduced has no confusion whatsoever about the source of the discomfort, or the fact that the option of getting zapped is entirely up to him/her.

Late to the party, as usual…

Unfortunately, Lisa's scenario is repeated far too often with dogs. We have seen it a number of times. The fact is, that even the most well timed positive punisher has one thing not within the handler's control: what is most salient to the dog at the time. Even if the training is consistent and well timed, if -in that moment- the thing that was most in the dog's mind was the other dog, they could most certainly associate the shock with the other dog.

If OP's dog has had pleasant experiences with big dogs, but only unpleasant with small dogs (I get to play with big dogs, little dogs only pass by/cause me to get shocked) it is certainly plausible (but guessing on our part and it could just as easily be that she just doesn't like small dogs). Also, though perhaps irrelevant, Dr.Jim Ha stated in one of his DVDs* that Toy Poodles have in tests proven to be less able to readily recognize social signals in other dogs, thereby making them sort of doggie cretins (my word, not his). So while the behavior is uncool, several factors could certainly play in, including the invisible fence. And then there of course is your key phrase, "if the dog has been properly trained with the fence". Many are poorly trained with the fence and, IME, many are willing to run through it given a good enough reason. Just one more reason I dislike them.

Gotta say, I agree with everyone else that has said, "Get a physical fence." If you had one, OP, this would never have happened.

*"Behavioral Genetics" IIRC

• @CanisBasenjius:

And then there of course is your key phrase, "if the dog has been properly trained with the fence". Many are poorly trained with the fence and, IME, many are willing to run through it given a good enough reason. Just one more reason I dislike them.

Gotta say, I agree with everyone else that has said, "Get a physical fence." If you had one, OP, this would never have happened.

That is indeed the key phrase, and I should have emphasized it more. Of course, if a small dog teased at the fence when the confined dog was still in training, you bet an association could result! And I would agree some dogs certainly do learn to run through invisible fence. I have a friend with one of those. Two of her three (non Basenjis) never do it, one will with sufficient provocation. She knows she will get zapped, but she just runs fast and takes the punishment to get at those darn coyotes!

To the original point, I don't have a handy dog example, but my friend's stallions have not learned to dislike mares in heat because they get zapped trying to get at them. They know it is the fence and they know they are going to get a jolt, but a mare flashing right by the fence is sometimes just too much temptation! They don't go through the fence, however. Gallagher has a way of changing your mind. 🙂

However, they have no issues breeding the same mares when the fence is not in the way, and show no difference in attitude toward them and other mares that have not been close to the fence, so I would say there is no confusion there in terms of the cause of the shock. Of course, horses may be smarter than the average dog…..

In the city, I think an actual physical fence is pretty much a necessity. In the country, depending on circumstances, maybe not so much.

Suggested Topics