My Poor Baby Gets Attacked!

• LENORA….May your surgery go well and your recovery be fast and easy on you. Abbey will be wearing her worried brow look when you get home and need lots of affection and cooing talk.
    I agree on the big stick, but I read in a dog training book to take a fast- trigger umbrella and it certainly worked on a too friendly adult bulldog who was coming toward us. It is a good, friendly dog, but Mike wouldn't have been able to go thru it. The fast spread of the umbrella scared the bulldog and it lit out down the road at lightning speed. Really impressed Mike, too. I'm going to buy some pepper spray for extreme emergencies and pray that I don't get it on Mike or me. Too many big dogs around lately and if they decided to jump their fenced yards, we'd be mincemeat. Even have pit bulls up the block now; that really worries me a lot.
    God bless you and yours.....kansasgirl

• @kansasgirl:

She was hyper deluxe and psychotic as all get out. Wouldn't sleep and paced constantly.

This sounds like the same thing that happened to my german shepherd mix years ago when my neighbor's grandson was using a cap gun. The way my vet explained it at that time was that she was so disturbed by the "gun shots" that she went into "fight or flight" mode (super adrenline). We tried giving her pill tranquilzers for two days–but she couldn't hold down any food (because of the hyper adrenline mode), and she threw up the pills. I finally had to leave her at the vets where they injected her with sedatives. When I picked her up a couple of days later, she was back to normal. But it was so scary at the time because I didn't think she would ever get back to normal. After her first injection, I went back the next day and looked in on her, and she was sleeping. I was so relieved and told the vet that was the first time I had seen her sleep in days.

• Thank you so much for letting me know of the noise risk and the sedation at a vet's possibility. That is a great option if necessary and as I will be moving to Tucson sometime later this year it may be needed. I'm sure the move will be traumatic on Mike. Was your german shepherd an adult or puppy when this happened? Again, much thanks!

• Kansasgirl,
    Things happen so fast. One quick bite from a large dog can be very serious.
    People walk their dogs where they can, but I will never go to a dog park.
    I drive 12 miles each way to take my dogs to a trail where they can run. When I see another dog coming….mine get put on the leash....

• I am a retired canine control officer.. In my State, this is completely against the law. Not only is this woman in line for a summons for allowing her dog off leash, but she is responisble for your vet bill costs!! Do not hesitate to call animal control and report this.. her dog was out of the owner's control, and she is liable for the damages incurred to your precious baby. Although large dogs need a dog park too, I know there are times specified in other States, where large dogs can play, and small dogs too but not at the same time, to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Why not suggest this to your town, so smaller dogs can be protected from this horror happening again. If I were you, I would be at City Hall, tomorrow, and making a complaint, then a suggestion for times for big and small dogs to enjoy the parks set aside for our loved fur ones. I have a big Doberman, and would never allow him to run free in a park with small dogs.. Heck, he cant run free in my home with my zenji puppy he would kill her..I am a very responsible owner, and accidents happen to all of us, but you have the right to enjoy the parks with your babies…without fear of being attacked. If the dog had bitten you, the owner could be sued and fined, and God knows you would win. Not sure how the law works there, but here, she is liable for your vet costs as well. I hope you get her big time, and the umbrella thing, is a great idea but a long riding crop is smart, too.Your poor little zenji is probably traumatized now, and just give her lots of love and huggs and keep her warm .. Give her kisses from Zaharah and Dale.. they send you all their love too. Janice

• hi, you need to report this to the police!!!! asap!!!! the lady was rewarding her dog for what it did!< that's b.s.!!. use some neolsorin on her wounds it will help it heal better and no scareing to her!!. YOU NEED TO REPORT IT BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW IF THIS LADY KEEPS HER DOG UP TO DDATE ON SHOTS!!!.

Suggested Topics