• How old is Spencer? and have they done any other tests on him?

• Spencer will be 14 this fall. He has Fanconi, so we have a vet check, bloodwork and urinalysis done every 4 months. We got "normal" (for him) results back this month, and he was negative for worms. The vet thinks he looks good, but he's starting to lose muscle mass and I think he looks bony.

• Diggie goes swimming once a week to help build muscles. (he'll be 15 in december) it has helped, much to Digital's dismay

• Those Basenjis are way too thin. The Sloughi is a bit thin too but the angle of the photo may be making it look worse than it is. When you get up close to them or run your hand over them, many sighthound breeds will have noticable hipbones. The thin coats and lack of body fat is the reason. The Azawahk is one of the most noticable and it really shows up in photos. Afghans are also prominant.

• Way too thin! I believe that is beyond a cultural preference.

• Ok I have been doing a bit of digging, but I have to be honest in that Im bitterly disappointed in the lack of responses Ive had. I think I might have sent out about 30 odd emails, all over Australia, and I have only got about 5 back, (including a very sarcastic one 😕), most of them just wishing me good luck :mad: :mad: :mad:…

Anyway I havent been able to get a lot of info. One person thought they knew who it may have been, but just as I was going send them an email, I got an email from the 1st person, saying that the timeline was wrong, and these 2 dogs would be progeny of the exports...

So that leaves me slightly jaded, but not a lot clearer... In saying that Curlytails has given me another lead or two to follow, which I will get on to shortly. Thank you Curlytails for the info you found, I will chase up some of the exhibitors, (hope to get a response :(, ) and post anything I find out here...

• First Basenji's

Thank you for your detective work, Saba. I think it's a hard "case," but I do think that if I were the original breeder of these dogs, I would want to know what happened to them. Even as a lover of the breed, it makes me feel sad and helpless to see those pictures. I certainly can't jump on a plane to fetch those dogs, and I don't reasonably expect the original breeder to, either. But if it serves as an eye-opening example of what happens when you don't keep in touch with your puppy people, then maybe some good will come out of it…

Meanwhile, just as you posted this, Saba, I received an e-mail from someone who was able to do more thorough detective work. They found the Malaysian Basenji owner's Rottweiler kennel, and there's full contact info there, including e-mail. I will leave you more info.

I would like to send him an e-mail myself, but I have to think about what to say. I get angry whenever I look at that article and those pictures, but I don't think I would get very far if I just went in there guns blazing. The welfare of those two Basenjis is what concerns me. If they are sick, I hope they are getting medical attention. If they are not being fed, maybe there's a local animal welfare agency I can contact. I know there are cases like this all over the world, every day, and many far worse. It just appalls me that someone can call themselves a "dog expert" and a "top kennel," yet have dogs in such condition -- and PROUDLY display them for the press!

Suggested Topics