• Experience also tends to be a good screener.

When my wife and I walk She-Ra in the park, adults get really attracted to her and see the way she plays with their kids (she's GREAT with kids), and they start asking question about the breed. They're really big on the whole "barkless dog" concept and I'll usually go into a little of the history (one of the oldest breeds, seen in heiroglyphs, not too common until recent decades, etc.), but I have yet to let any of them leave without telling them the other side of the story - they're high energy and high maintenance, they exist to test your patience, will shred/chew anything you leave out, you WILL walk them every night, particularly when they're young, etc. - things we all LOVE about our B's, but potential new owners might not be aware of and may not find as endearing.

My wife gets on my case for talking too much about them to strangers, but I tell her my big worry is that someone comes away from the conversation thinking "Barkless dog" and uses that as their criteria to pick one up. They aren't for everyone, and there are days (few and far between) we both scratch our heads and wonder why we didn't just get a bassett hound (joking). I try and impress that on families who see She-Ra and fall in love on the spot…

Suggested Topics