Looking for good breeder to get a brindle pup

• First Basenji's

I could call his breeder- he is all the way in Fla. and we are in California. I was hoping to find someone closer to get help from. It sounds like I should first start with getting some testing done. I was just looking for some pointers. My sister in Hawaii breeds her dogs, and she really loves it. At least I have a starting point. Thanks!

• What is your sister's kennel name?

• I got my first two basenjis from GA and I live in CA. Their breeder has been very involved since the beginning giving advice and support and helping connect me with local contacts when needed. Is your boy's breeder a BCOA member? Are they active in the basenji community? If so, they should be able to help connect you to basenji club members in your area who can help you get started with activities like conformation or performance events and assessing your boy.

You will also need to get in touch with your boy's breeder and find out detailed information about the dogs in his pedigree. You will need to know what health testing has been done on them, are they alive, do they have any health issues, if deceased what was the cause and what was their age at death. These questions should be answered for at least 3 generations and better yet for 5 generations.

• First Basenji's

I will find out the name of the Kennel and let you know. It sounds like I need to go through all the paperwork I got with Mojo- I can find out more about his bloodline. Mojo is an amazing Basenji- beautiful, not many behavior issues, great temperment- he seems like a wonderful dog to breed. The whole process sounds quite complicated, and I still have much research to do. Thank you all for pointing out issues I need to research and how I might be able to get this process started. My daughter has shown him in a couple of very small shows through her 4-H club, and he did well- 2nd place for his first show! Do any of you do lure coursing with your Basenji? Just something else I believe he would enjoy- he already flushes out ducks from the neighborhood bushes.

• Most of us here from Northern Ca lure course and do Straight Line and Oval track racing. And our local Basenji Club (Basenji Club of Northern California, www.norcalbasenjis.org) is active in putting on trials a few times a year. You can check the lure schedules at www.asfa.org or www.akc.org

• First Basenji's

Thanks for the links! I also found a club close to me- in Oakley, Ca. that does lure coursing, but it's mostly a greyhound club. I will look into the links you sent Thanks again!

• Most clubs hold All Breed trials so at the actual events there will be likely be basenji people even if it is another breed club holding the event.

There are usually trials hosted by the Irish Wolfhound Club of Northern California in Oakley in February. I don't think the ASFA calendar is up to date yet so I am not sure if they will be thre are again this year or not.

• If you can to share your boys pedigree, there are a number of breeders here that might be familar that pedigree and give you information.

Also, if you have the pedigree, you can check out health testing at www.offa.org using the dogs name and/or AKC registration number

• First Basenji's

Thank you all for the info. I will check out all the links for health testing. I will also be planning to go to some lure coursing trials. His pedigree goes back 3 generations- I will check out the offa site! Thanks again for all the info.- it has been very helpful!

• You should be able to get more pedigree information on Sally Wallis's site, http://pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com

The Irish Wolfhound clubs are having lure trials in Oakley on February 12 and 13 at O'Hara Park School.

Suggested Topics