Skip to content

Backpack brands/sizes

Basenji Talk
  • I'm putting together a wish list for Cooper, and I've been thinking about training him to use a backpack for hikes or for fun around the house. He also walks the half mile to the post office with me every day, and now that I've usually got the baby in a front carrier for the trip, I sometimes run out of room to put the mail. It would be awesome if he could carry it home for me in a backpack. I think he'd like the idea of doing the extra work, too. Our walking route is boring!

    We live in a little town and everyone stares at us anyway. Cooper's one of the few dogs in the area who gets walked regularly, plus he has that cute little basenji prance and wears sweatshirts when it's cold. So I'm not worried about getting funny looks for that.

    I searched the threads for backpacks and saw a few pics, but no specific brands mentioned that work really well.

    Any recommendations on brands and sizing for a 23 pounder?

    Thanks!
    Ruth

  • I used to hike frequently with mine, and considered getting them backpacks so they could haul some of their own water. However, when I did research, the recommendation was not to give them more than 10% of their weight to carry, which would be less than 2 lbs each for my girls. I decided I could carry that 3.5 pounds of water myself quite easily.
    So I don't have any recommendations, but if all he is carrying is mail, I think any of them would be fine.

Suggested Topics

  • Raw chicken/meat

    Basenji Talk
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    2k Views
    ZandeZ
    @heavenpups said in Raw chicken/meat: Yes, they could but sometimes it would depend on your dog if they want raw. In my case, they don't so I have to bake it for 15-20 minutes. Cooked chicken bones splinter. I would be very careful about baking them for any length of time.
  • Digital 12/20/96 - 8/1613

    Basenji Talk
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    10k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Just seeing this, not sure how I missed it but I am so sorry. Yes, blessed with nearly 16 yrs… but that's more years to leave a bigger hole in your heart.
  • Bringing home our B 3/9/2012

    Basenji Talk
    56
    0 Votes
    56 Posts
    33k Views
    Chealsie508C
    Ready to commit myself!!! Hahaha.. Alleycat- so incredibly adorable, I love the look on his face in the first one…might be a hint of mischief in there?! Lol The little black and white bundles get me everytime! I fell in love with breed and wanted a red and white...but after receiving Oakley...it's hard not to have the black and whites melt me. Take lots of pics, it goes by quicker than I remember thinking it would. Love his wide white stripe and his little white mitten foot in the back...he looks overall to be a "cool, laid back type"?! Perhaps it's because I was so used to the panic look as Oakley was panicked by many things back then!
  • Size of kennel

    Basenji Talk
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    7k Views
    BasenjimammaB
    I think as long as it is a puppy and you make the "cave" a happy place to be, they will learn to go in and actually want to hang in there. Make it matter of fact, not optional.
  • What size Crate?!?

    Basenji Talk
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    15k Views
    jonny b.J
    MY BAD. i was looking at the plastic , not the wire. there are no prices on them…
  • WYOMING Rabies Laws–9/30/08 Update

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    Kris_ChristineK
    CHEYENNE – City Eases Rabies Vaccine Rules Wyoming Tribune Eagle, Page A3, Tuesday, December 9, 2008 by Jodi Rogstad The City’s Dogs and Cats will No Longer Need to Get Rabies Shots Every Year. Pet owners now have the option to have their animal companions vaccinated once every three years. Monday, the Cheyenne City Council voted 8-2 to change the city’s rabies vaccine ordinance. Cheyenne City Council http://cheyenne.granicus.com/AgendaViewer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=57 9. ORDINANCE - 3RD READING - Amending Section 6.12.020, Rabies Tags, of Chapter 6.12, Dog and Cat Registration, and Section 6.16.020, Rabies Vaccination Required, of Chapter 6.16, Rabies Control, of Title 6, Animals, of the Code of the City of Cheyenne, Wyoming. (PUBLIC SERVICES COMMITTEE) ACTION: Approved as amended by substitute