• NORTHERN BASENJI SOCIETY

?THE REQUIREMENTS OF A DOG SHOW JUDGE?
    Part 1 Kennel Club Judge?s Training Seminar
    Covering Relevant Kennel Club Show Regulations, Ring Procedure and Practical Aspects of Judging

Saturday 13th November 2010

RIXTON WITH GLAZEBROOK (HOLLINS GREEN) COMMUNITY CENTRE WA3 6JZ
    (M6/J21/A57)

Speaker: Mrs Yvonne Billows
    (Kennel Club Accredited Trainer)

10.00 a.m. Arrival - tea/coffee.

10.30 a.m. Welcome and introduction to the day?s activities.

The seminar is run as a ?workshop? and includes:

The essential qualities of a dog show judge.
    Preparation for judging. Judging contracts.
    Before the show. At the show. In the ring.
    Regulations applicable to selection of BOB.
    Critiques. After the show.
    Pitfalls to be prepared for.
    Breed Club lists & judging at Open Shows.
    Progression to A2 judging lists
    Kennel Club assessment.
    Other Regulations applicable to judging.

12.45 p.m. Lunch/ advise below if vegetarian

1.30 p.m. Continuation of Seminar.

3.30 p.m. At the end of this Seminar the Accredited Trainer is authorised to carry out an Examination for those attending
    the seminar who wish to participate. The Examination is set by the Kennel Club.

4.30 p.m. Close of Seminar.
    ENTRANCE TICKET: ?20.00 (including Lunch & Refreshments)

Numbers are limited so please apply early to:
    MRS. IRENE HORNER, ROSE COTTAGE, 1, MEADOWS AVE, THORNTON-CLEVELEYS.FY5 2TN
    E-MAIL: nbs-ed@freeukisp.co.uk
    TEL: 01253 868830
    –------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NORTHERN BASENJI SOCIETY ? SEMINAR 10.00 am start on SATURDAY 13TH NOVEMBER 2010

NAME (for return of tickets)................................................................................................................................?????

ADDRESS ...........................................................................................................................................................????..

............................................................... Post Code ............................ Tel .................................................????

NUMBER OF PEOPLE ATTENDING @ ?20.00 EACH .......? ..................... CHEQUE ENCLOSED FOR ?...........???..
    Please advise if vegetarian meal required. YES/ NO Payable to Northern Basenji Society

Candidate?s name(s) and ability of those attending (Please tick the box where applicable)
    1. .................................................................. Never judged before.  Have judged a) Open Shows  , b) CH Shows 

2. ......................................................................... Never judged before.  Have judged a) Open Shows  , b) CH Shows 

• Shame this is so far away as i would be really interested to do this. Have done pugs, labs and various spaniels 😃

• Hi Jess - its not breed specific so there would be little point in doing it again i expect. Would be great if they could do a breed specific one though - i will suggest it to someone..

• Oh, thought it was a basenji one! Thats what i'd like to do.

I've done various KC ones including the rules and regs and hands on assessment ones. I try to get on as many of the breed specific assessment courses as possible though as i do enjoy learning more about the breeds i like. Only judged pugs once (entry of over 40, i nearly fainted lol!!) and i much prefer showing to judging, but its good to learn more!

• Scott - I've been working on NBS in the form of Irene for many months trying to get them to put on a breed seminar but it never seems to occur. Now we don't have a breed council it's up to the individual clubs but it doesn't stop us getting together (BOBA and NBS) to put on one. You have a try, please now you're a co-opted member.

The main thing is to ensure that there is sufficient demand.

I'll attend this seminar just to support Irene even though I have already 'done' one.

• Your right Patty about the need for sufficient demand - i know from past experience that it can be difficult to convert those who express an interest in it - into those who will actually attend!

• See, thats odd because i was told that the last breed seminar (with assessment for aspiring judges) was in very high demand and booked up very quickly…!!

I would definately like to do a breed seminar, put my name down for that! If you could hold it in Tewkesbury that would be lovely 😃 lol

• It's too far for me but spookily enough I was reading the KC leaflet yesterday (download), I was looking for information on stewarding, the information is included in the guide for the judges!

• Jess, that's what they say before every seminar!! I think it's an attempt to get more to apply. One that 'was almost sold out' was cancelled because of insufficient interest!!!!

I agree that it would be nice to get them locally! I've tried to promote a fairly local hall which is excellent as well as being at very reasonable hire cost but of course it's not easy for those in the South, North or East to get to!!!!! (I went to a Sloughi seminar there which was well attended so it would work if people were keen!)

• I travelled up to Bradford for a gundog seminar so i dont mind travelling, but it would be nice to have them a bit closer to home. The labrador clubs hold them all over the country but of course, theres far few aspiring basenji judges in the country so its just not do-able really…

• Both myself and the OH would be very interested in attending a Breed Specific Seminar if one was arranged providing it wasn't up in Scotland lol !!!!

I have all my criteria in place ie KC Rules and Regs etc. The OH is on C List for Dobes and not far short of his numbers for the B List, he did his Breed Specific last Sunday for Dobes and found it very interesting. Although Dobes are my first breed I am not interested in judging them lol :rolleyes:. However I would love to gain further knowledge of my second and hopefully on going breed, the Basenji !!!!.

I know not many of you are near to me, but my Club Barking Canine Club is holding it's Open Show in October in Essex, we give Stewarding Certs for those that need the experience, and lunch lol !!!!!:).

• I believe there was a breed specific B seminar 'down south' a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, it was not run alongside a show so I did not attend as it was around a 9 hour drive. The NBS seminar is already a 6 hour drive for me. I would doubt very much that it would take 6 hours for most of the people in the south of England to attend. I have also already done the Judges seminar so will not be attending this one, but I would make the effort to drive if I hadn't already done it. I was very dissappointed with the lack of turnout at the recent breed talk in Scotland. There were even a lot of Scottish folk who didn't attend for one reason or another. These seminars need people to make an effort otherwise they will just stop completely.

• I have already completed the seminar that NBS are running, but I hope they get a good turn out.

Scotland is one step beyond for us, time wise, dog wise and fuel wise. As I have only been " in the breed " so as to speak for approx 2 and half years, I was unaware of the other seminars.

I'll just have to sit tight and wait I guess !!!:). It seems to me that the profile of the breed is picking up slightly, hopefully this will lead to more people wanting to learn more about Basenjis. The entries for Richmond were printed yesterday I believe there are 46 Baz-Js, there are only 70 something Dobes, what a turn around !!!!!

• The breed specific seminars are not just for prospective judges - I attend any that I can when I'm particularly interested in the breed. You're often lucky enough to get real experts on a particular breed - the best I attended was the one on the Sloughis mainly because Don Wieden gave a brilliant exposition of the Saluki there.

I don't recall having missed any Basenji Breed seminars although not to be assessed for judging - just out of interest in the different descriptions of what a Basenji should be. They really are enlightening.

• Yes, I agree with you Patty, they are not just for Judges.

When I did my Confirmation and Movement Seminar I found it really interesting on how various breeds moved and how they fitted in with the function for which they were originally intended. Funnily enough one of the dogs that was helping with the talk was a Basenji !!!! unfortunately I didn't get to over over her for my hands on !!! lol

My OH went on his Breed Specific the other day ( Dobes ), and had a brilliant day. You never stop learning, and the day you say you have, you should give up lol !!!!!!

Suggested Topics