Need advice before i finalize my decision about getting a basenji

• My fav thing is when I tell a new basenji owner "what to expect"…good and bad...and they call or e-mail me and say...I must have a perfect b, because the dog doesn't do anything you said he might do!...I am just delighted.
    What I don't what to happen is to have someone getting a rescue b from me saying...
    "well, you didn't say he would do that!"...I figure, at least with rescue, more info is always better....

• Besenji owners are awesome! I had no idea I'd get such support. Thank you!

Lauren, you made me laugh and think of some destructive times I've come home to. I used to give my dearly beloved Benito (my first chihuahua) squares of toilet paper and giggle at the spectacle he'd make of it.

I understand how sometimes unfavorable traits can become endearing and just cause us to love our animals even more.

Now I'm getting all sentimental…where's my tissues?

• re fencing -
    the only time my dogs got out of the fenced yard was when i wasn't there with them. heaven forbid i go to the agility yard without Zest.

• @sharronhurlbut:

My fav thing is when I tell a new basenji owner "what to expect"…good and bad...and they call or e-mail me and say...I must have a perfect b, because the dog doesn't do anything you said he might do!...I am just delighted.
    What I don't what to happen is to have someone getting a rescue b from me saying...
    "well, you didn't say he would do that!"...I figure, at least with rescue, more info is always better....

You do great work and can't predict everything Sharron! 🙂

• @tanza:

Good choice with Laura Mae…. and she can give you lots of great advise and tips... besides knowing her Basenjis....

Just have to pipe in that Laura Mae is wonderful. She really knows her basenjis, she breeds really nice dogs, and she stepped up to temporarily foster BCOSW's two rescues. She definitely is what you want in a breeder. Good choice.

-Nicole

• @nkjvcjs:

Just have to pipe in that Laura Mae is wonderful. She really knows her basenjis, she breeds really nice dogs, and she stepped up to temporarily foster BCOSW's two rescues. She definitely is what you want in a breeder. Good choice.

-Nicole

We talked to Laura Mae last night on the phone. She IS great! I think a sign of a good breeder is one that tells you exactly what you are getting into, good and bad. She didn't sugar-coat anything. Even though there was no sugar-coating, she made my teeth hurt with sweetness and now I want a basenji even more! 😉

• They are like chips..you will find you just can have one! You will want 2 at least!!!

• My husband and I are going to visit Laura Mae and her whole pack in the upcoming weeks. We are going to go hiking. I can't wait! I'm going to give each one of her basenjis a big squeeze! ❤

• @FlowerOfFire:

My husband and I are going to visit Laura Mae and her whole pack in the upcoming weeks. We are going to go hiking. I can't wait! I'm going to give each one of her basenjis a big squeeze! ❤

If you go before nationals you will get to meet BCOSW's rescues too.

-Nicole

• @nkjvcjs:

If you go before nationals you will get to meet BCOSW's rescues too.

-Nicole

Yep, we are going within this month. I'll give the rescue dogs and extra squeeze!

Suggested Topics