• I have heard very good things about Dr. Anna. I was venting about my local vet here (perfectly lovely people who seem to have gone to the Stepford Vet University, where all dogs are well-behaved and have the same needs 😃 ). So Gloria said, well, bring him up when Simon's ready for the next big steps, and we'll see how you all like Dr. Anna.

So we just might!

• I will have to tell Dr Anna that she is becoming known among the basenji crowd. 😃 This thread is crazy. Gayle Mclain is the breeder from Gray who now breeds ridgebacks., and she is a horse firend as well as a dog friend. She came to my house with her friend Deb Preble and Deb took my old girl Breezy and Breezy was with Deb until she died. Debbie Hauri is of course one of my very very good friends in the breed. Donna- are you the horse person from the old mainehorse.com who used to see Bramble in the park with his owner in Augusta? And renault, I remember you! Dot and Winart now live in my town. Last I saw them they were down to two elderly basenjis and were not at all interested in breeding. Dot helped me practice with Zinnia on the table a looong time ago when Zinni was a young nitwit. She is now of course a soft middleaged nitwit. 🙂

• hi renault
    you are correct it was andrew sawler, its been over 10 years so my memory was a bit fuzzy. the closest i can come to the breeding date would have possibly been 1997, 1998? maybe 1999? i want to say 1998 is the best possiblity
    i relied on the expertise of the owners at winarts who discussed this with their new england breeder contacts and the general consensus was that yodelman would be the perfect male for maya

after the puppies were born i attended a puppy party in new hampshire i believe it was where all the new england breeders brought their puppies,andrew took a male black and white named roly as his part of the fee and sold him to a woman who i believe bred basenjis and german shepherds? andrew found the puppy in a barn with the shepherds which wasnt warm enough and took the puppy back he ended up in a great home with a woman who had a red and white puppy named annie

i remember getting like 3 phone calls from 3 different breeders after the party to say that they wanted to purchase willa the only tri in the litter as they felt she wouldnt be good with children(she was growly when picked up) but willa was the one we wanted to keep from the moment she was born she was named wilhelmina johanna since she was to be my sons dog and his name is william john
    we had willa for almost 2 years she was a very beautiful girl and was very sweet we never a problem with her.

im really not sure of the year of the breeding i know it was before yodelmans father was diagnosed with fanconi or at least i believe he was diagnosed with it. best guess would be 1998, wasnt yodelmans dad something like top 10 basenji in the country?
    i wish i could find mayas papers to add to the basenji data base. she was registered by the winarts as edens morning star . im hoping maybe roly and annies mom might read this and be able to add rolys info to the data base which would of course include mayas history as well
    was winarts considered a good kennel?
    what a small world, so nice to think back to the times when maya was still here and try to piece it all together.
    i had pretty much forgotten mayas registered name but posting has made me remember it and looking back on my 10 years with maya i have to say that she was really was edens morning star
    maya was put to sleep over 2 years ago and i still miss her every single day.

• sending along a pic of maya and yodelmans tri color girl willa
    attachment_p_121014_0_09-05-2010-114440pm.jpg

Suggested Topics