Skip to content

Can non basenjis access the fanconi test?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • silly question, but would a non basenji be able to be tested? I know basenji crosses can be dna tested but what about other breeds?
    I ask this because in another breed I have there are a number of siblings and a dam who have all passed away with various kidney disorders. Different vets so no uniformity of diagnosis.

    We are now strip testing the remaining siblings but would be interested if we could rule out fanconi.
    thanks

  • I'm pretty sure you could if you really wanted to. If you go to the CPP website, there should be contact information for the people at the University that does the tests. I have had to contact them before and they got back to me very soon if I missed them.

  • Because the current test is a marker test and not a direct gene test, I don't know how useful the test would be. This is a question you would have to ask directly to the researchers.

Suggested Topics

  • Fanconi test issues?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    35k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Pretty sure there is a board post about it, but I THINK there was a contamination issue or something. Certainly have not heard of any issues in a long time.
  • 0 Votes
    1 Posts
    3k Views
    No one has replied
  • Fanconi Marker Test

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    tanzaT
    @Terry: I heard a rumor, wondered if anyone knows if it's true. The rumor was that an affected dog has been identified with 2 clear parents. Pat, I know you're usually up on this… Terry That seems to be the case, Lisa will most likely also chime in. They are now retest that dog along with his parents. As we all know there is always human error and the samples may have been mismarked. I have no doubt in the test (and I know that others will mostly likely use this as a way to discount the test), but I will stand on the over 1100 samples that have already been done and they all seem to be as they should. IMO and I have a sample that was most likely taken at the same time, that there was either a problem when the sample was sent in or there was a problem when the DNA was extracted. At the same time and the sample taken at the same time, there is another dog that is showing as Carrier from two clears… again that is being retested also...
  • Fanconi Test Question

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    tanzaT
    Did you enter him on the CPP site? If the blood was received it will be marked there. They do not send any notice that it was received. But interesting that the ck was not cashed yet… could be that it has not been recorded yet since you did send on a Thursday to arrive on Friday... and Monday was a holiday
  • Fanconi Testing

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    11k Views
    tanzaT
    @dmcarty: re: puppy mills and testing only one parent - I know for a FACT that at one place the sire of several years of litters was not the sire - it was a male who had good papers so his name was listed even though he was DEAD. One of the PM's males was the sire of several litters attributed to this OTHER dog. (I happen to know the person who owned the substitute sire) So it is unfortunate but the testing will only be as ethical as those who provide information to the test. Geez I hate to even say that but I am afraid that it's true. No doubt about that… and another reason to only look at AKC who has a DNA parentage program for high volume breeders...
  • Fanconi DNA Test

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    red and white fureverR
    Thank-you for the link, tanza! I bookmarked it in my favorites.