• I just got Buddy's full blood work done to check everything including his thyroid. All is good and normal except his BUN to creatine is 36. Normal is 4-27. Vet recommended a urinalysis. He's very healthy and active but never drinks water unless it's hot out so I have to put it in his meals. I had him out for a pretty good romp and it was warm before the vet visit so maybe he was a little dehydrated. Anybody have their lab tests available to see what their B had?

• I would opt for the urinalysis. Could be a bit of an infection going on… B's level run in the normal range.

I have blood tests going back years and years on my kids and BUN was always normal until they got way older...

• OK, I will get that done.

• @nobarkus:

OK, I will get that done.

I think it is the right thing and it should not be that expensive…. then you know for sure, one way or the other....

My only other comment would be, that it couldn't have been a full thyroid panel? Most labs that Vets send blood work to do not do the full panel. They usually have to be sent out to someone like Dr. Dodds, U of Ca Davis, U of Mich....

I think that so you have a base line, you might want to consider the full panel. Also remember that for Basenjis, low normal is too low

• What are you feeding? Some people on this forum have found that the grain free foods seem to be linked to causing the off values in their dogs. When they switch to lower protein foods the numbers return to normal.

• @lvoss:

What are you feeding? Some people on this forum have found that the grain free foods seem to be linked to causing the off values in their dogs. When they switch to lower protein foods the numbers return to normal.

2 meals a day. Combination of Primal frozen raw that I alternate each week between chicken, duck and lamb (no grains only vegetables and fruit) mixed with some Spot's Stew dry which is Salmon based with oats,barley with freeze dried vegetables and fruit. As a treat in the morning when I leave he get's cut up pieces of chicken breast.

• Here is some info

although this one is for humans it does say that dehydration and a high protein diet could be a factor
    http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/43722.htm

the purpose for the urinalysis would most likely be to check for any signs of Renal/Kidney failure
    http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/clerk/mckee/

Also our veterinarians will have the owner bring back the dog in 3weeeks i think? to recheck the values in question

Suggested Topics