Can anyone explain to me how to teach Growl?

• I agree with lvoss, just remember how many times that it freaks people out when a Basenji raises its hackles…

• We will just have to agree to disagree as your experiences are not the same as mine.

Ford c4 transmission history

• Dante's person: I have been in contact with someone who has successfully taught their dog to play dead. I have not taught this so was not sure how to approach so thought I would get another view. Here was their reply though it is not too detailed:

"Well that's a good question! It was a variant begun with teaching
    roll over; however Nut was good at stopping half-way with her legs
    sticking out to the side and head down. It was so cute, and I hadn't added a cue yet, so every time she rolled on her side I pointed my finger and said bang. She was a natural at it, so I never thought much about how we got there. "

While teaching a dog to play dead could be deemed as irresponsible in the violent society in which we exist (esp. if you add the finger point and "bang"), I hope others find no offense in your wanting to teach this. I know I find it cute when Nut falls over in a dead heap. :O) Good luck.

ECIGARETTE FORUM

• @sinbaje:

I am under the impression Dante's person has asked the folks how to teach Dante to growl ON COMMAND…

Anyone taking a growl on command to mean anything other then what it is - a cute parlor trick...

Thank you, Ms. Linda, for explaining what I was trying to say.

• Sorry, I have to agree with Lisa. Shadow growls when he is on the couch-we know it is playing, but I've had people over who come, literally, running back to me saying-'he's growling at me.' He is not growling, but play growling but he sounds very nasty about it.

• Sorry Arlene, again - we are again talking major differences here. Shadow growling as you describe above is in a totally different context to what I am discussing and what Dante's person was asking.

EXAMPLE: If I am standing there amongst a group of people and I say "Hey - my dog knows a cool trick - let me show you" And I proceed to give a cue and my dog growls - it is just a trick and nothing more. If someone standing there wants to misconstrue it - I can not control their idiocy, and to be honest - nor should I have to.

The same as if I am standing there with a cookie in my hands and my dogs start to offer me anything and everything including a growl in hopes of earning the reward; it would be quite obvious, even to the most inane person that a) I am working with them (the big hint is the food) and b) the dog is going through their behavior repetoire. It becomes even more obvious when I say something like "Sorry, I did not ask you to growl, I asked for a sit or down or shake or beg or…....." Again - if someone takes that the wrong way - so be it. I am not going to dictate my life or the fun I have with my dogs on such small minded and obviously simple people.

This is not even close to being the same as having someone in my house, sitting next to/standing by/ or approaching my dog and it growls at them.

Putting a behavior on command means just that - you ask them to do something and (with basenjis - hope) they do it in that moment.

Ferrari f430 challenge

• People are stupid, and believe their own misconceptions, rather than common sense.
    Blaze was playing with my Hubby's nephew and a ball. The nephew made a high pitch giggle sound that sounded very similar to me when I say "Aroooo". This is Blaze's cue to do his play roo, which tapers off into the playful grr. The nephew's mom (Hubby's cousin) thought that the nice friendly, old, toothless dog who had been playing with her son all weekend, and took a ram in the ribs from the ram to protect her son, was suddenly going crazy…
    I can see how he looked so evil with his head ****ed to the side, in the playful bow position (which she was aware of) and wagging his curled tail...
    She promply jumped out of the couch and kicked him in the head. He spun around on the hardwood floor, yelping, until he hit the coffee table leg, then he collapsed.
    She said she though he was going to attack her kid because he growled. I tore a stripe off of her, and we still don't see eye to eye on the situation.
    I have to say though, that while I hate her, I am pretty mad at myself for putting Blaze in that situation. I taught him the cue and didn't think that someone else would trigger it. I am never very far from him, but in this case, I was only in the other room, I could see them through the door, and I still couldn't help him.
    Blaze now avoids her like the plague, sometimes he actually growls at her if she attempts to come close to him. When her son approaches him, he moves away... infact, he does this with all children now. He's never growled at them. But he use to love kids. He use to go to the park and play on the slide with them, going down it with them, waiting in line with them. It's heart breaking. This happened over three years ago.
    Just consider the what ifs before you decide what to do.

• When people have treats and withhold them, my dogs start offering all of their tricks trying to figure out which trick will get them a treat. So if "growl" was part of their tricks they would probably offer that trying to get a reward. Since mine are show dogs people don't even have to actually have a treat for them to think they do all they have to do is put their hands in their pockets. It may be cute to watch them offer a sit, a down, even a yodel trying to get a treat out of someone. I really doubt a stranger would find it cute if they offered a growl trying to get a treat.

• People are stupid, and believe their own misconceptions, rather than common sense.<<

I think you hit the nail on the head; people are stupid, even the ones you would least expect it from but alas we are confronted with them daily and yet, life goes its merry way.

It does beg the thought though; how Hollywood trainers handle these stupid people?; heck knows their dogs are taught far worse cued behaviors then growling.

Sorry guys - you are not going to convince me that teaching a dog to growl on command will cause all the deleterious effects to which some keep implying. The sky might be falling but not currently at my house. :O)

We will just have to agree that we have differing opines and leave it at that.

FORD C6 TRANSMISSION SPECIFICATIONS

• Knipper: Kicked him in the head??? :eek::eek::eek:

I'd have done more than tear just a stripe out of her. My stomach turns to knots just thinking of someone kicking a dog in the head!:mad::mad:

Can't say I blame Blaze at all for growling at her and meaning it.

Too bad about kids, though. 😞 It makes me sad the things folks can do to change a dog's attitude.

Suggested Topics