Skip to content

Litter box training advice

Basenji Training
  • I recently got my basenji an indoor dog potty from www.ugodog.net. She is 7 years old & has fanconi, so she pees a lot now & I imagine it could even increase in the future. Also, she hates snow & rain (big surprise there), so with winter coming up I wanted to work on an indoor option for her. She does have a doggie door, but when I am not home I believe she rarely goes any farther out than the deck.

    I am wondering if anyone here can offer any tips on how to get Cleo to use the indoor potty. I expect it to be a bit of a challenge considering she has been effectively house trained for almost seven years. I have tried collecting a specimen & putting it in there & she will smell it but when I tell her to "go potty" she looks at me like I'm crazy & then starts running for the back door. Any advice that anyone can offer would be appreciated!!

    Sarah

  • Nature's Miracle makes grass scented pee pads don't know if it will help. I know they do help puppies to get the idea that they should go on grass so maybe they would work in reverse.

  • that sounds like it would be worth a try, I will look into those. Thanks!

  • And you might want to try putting it outside and try getting her to go on it there and then try moving in inside….

Suggested Topics

  • Crate training

    Basenji Training
    38
    0 Votes
    38 Posts
    25k Views
    elbrantE
    @sanjibasenji said in Crate training: I have much respect for that accumulated knowledge, but, not to sound rude, that does not make that person a certified or licensed trainer. I actually was offended by what you posted. You said you respect the knowledge, but disregard it because they aren't a "certified or licensed trainer"? These are well-intentioned breeders who volunteer to engage with others on the Forum in an attempt to educate and celebrate this amazing dog breed. They share their knowledge. You don't have to agree with them. Offer your opinion and move on. Please don't suggest that their opinion, experience, and education isn't valid because they aren't "certified" or "licensed". Your overall intent screams that you believe yourself to be better than the rest of us: "I'm a scientist with a PhD." Which puts the rest of us beneath you? In education and social stature? You couldn't know about anyone's socioeconomic status, educational achievements, or expertise on any subject. But you deemed to think it was appropriate to put us in our place. And that, was rude. Even the analogy you offered is an indication that you don't value anyone who doesn't have a degree. Frankly, if you are hearing conflicting opinions about the same piece of art, get a third opinion. The person with the degree may have just scraped by with a C+, while the person who devoted decades may have been under the tutelage of a Master Artist. And really, if you are planning to purchase such a prized piece of Art, shouldn't you educate yourself so you can make an intelligent decision instead of allowing others to tell you what to buy? As an aside: The original YouTube link remains, but we certainly do not need her entire catalog of videos. Sharing information is one thing, advertising for someone is another. I would hope that you understand that not everything you see online is true. Including claims to be an expert, certified, trained, Dr., etc., etc. Lots of people in the world are just selling a story.
  • Training techniques

    Basenji Training
    33
    2 Votes
    33 Posts
    18k Views
    ZandeZ
    @elbrant I hope it will arrive today and I will let you know of its success or otherwise. We will try it out immejutely it arrives. Mku slept with me last night. He slept like a log. I didn't, but at least it gave Paul a rest. The diffuser is supposed to diffuse comforting pheronomes. I like the idea of changing it to encourage eating etc. You could be onto a winner there !
  • Leash training

    Basenji Training
    33
    0 Votes
    33 Posts
    24k Views
    agilebasenjiA
    quick note- I don't feed raw; i feed a grain free commercial dog food (there are now quite a few on the market) and have been very happy. I do feed some cooked muttloaf (http://www.maryshouse.us/Recipes.htm) with the evening meal.
  • Troy's crate training, need some advice

    Basenji Training
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    12k Views
    nobarkusN
    @tanza: Crate training is something that "if" possible all dogs, not only Basenjis should learn… in your case Shaye's Mom, as you will I am sure read of hear from other Forum members there are some that you can just not crate train.... but the reasons are many, not just house breaking, but a safe place if you are having work done in the house, no worries about someone leaving a door open... work in the yard, no worries about someone leaving a gate open... traveling, all should be confined/restrained when in a moving vehicle, visiting with family/friends... by taking the crate along there is always a place that your dog is familar with and comfortable... Most responsible breeders have usually started crate training before you get your puppy... so usually they are somewhat used to them... however this is one reason I will never ship a puppy as cargo... and people need to personally pick up a puppy... one great way to freak a pup out (in my opinion) is remove them from their litter mates, stuff them in a crate that they have no idea what it is, haul them to the airport to be put in the belly of the plane.... well, you get the idea... Of course that said... there are just some that can't be crate trained and have never had a bad experience You're absoluty correct Pat. I had 3 that I could not for the life of me crate train. Crating would have been wonderful.
  • Questions on training

    Basenji Training
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    11k Views
    jkhandjlsJ
    THANK YOU!! I finally feel there is somebody out there that 'gets it'. Our girl does not respond to any of the 'pack leader' stuff - I'm sure she was dumped because she is just such a stinker. Everytime I hit bottom somebody helps me through the disaster with encouragment (that's why I joined this group.) THANK YOU for your good thougths - things do progress - her private trainer is coming this weekend & we're doing the prong collar. Last night she sat in her crate for almost 45 minutes. No matter what, she's here to stay & she is so darn cute!!!!! That tail is really precious - thank you so much for all your e-support!! Joanne & Sophie:) :) :) :)
  • Training Brags

    Basenji Training
    43
    0 Votes
    43 Posts
    25k Views
    DukeD
    @Quercus: I would probably do that. But the benefit to taking them each to class is that they learn to do the behaviors in a distracting environment. The flip side to that is how on earth would you be able to train both dogs at the same time in the class? LOL!! I was thinking that my son would come with me and train Daisy, while I train Duke. Duke is the toughest student - REALLY spastic. :eek: Everything is a distraction. Daisy is much calmer. So I should bring Duke to class and then go thru the same training exercises at home with Daisy. I agree that training in a distracting environment WITH instructor's help is best. But, yeah - I should save some $$ and only take one. Gasoline prices are killing my budget! :mad: