The Humanization of Dogs Part 2

• @AJs:

I never suggested that "humanization" was the only factor in aggressive canine behavior. It has been shown, however, to have an impact if the animal is not dealt with in a manner that makes it clear where it stands in pack order with regard to humans. IMO, the best way to do this is by using the animal's own language to tell it.

It's the method I used to train my cats. Cats and dogs don't speak human. They have their own languages respectively. If we take the time to learn it, our jobs as leaders of said animals is greatly simplified. It may be as basic as making sure your dog knows he or she is lower in pack order by eating before the animal does.

I do concede it is true that some dogs, by nature of their breeding, are more aggressive than others. In these cases, treating them as if they are human is not appropriate.

AJ's human, Do you really mean body language when you suggest learning the animals language? I do agree that if we pay attention to certain body language and habits that our pets appear to have, we do develop at least in a limited sense the ability to understand when something might be bothering them, or they need something from us. Sometimes it takes a bit to figure out what they are after, but I think owners who pay attention to detail and repetitive behavior can usually figure out what their Basenji or other pet might be after. I certainly wish I could learn to speak dog. It would make my pets life and my life so much easier, and I could also earn a lot of money as an animal behaviorist or phycologist.

Jason

• @ComicDom1:

AJ's human, Do you really mean body language when you suggest learning the animals language? I do agree that if we pay attention to certain body language and habits that our pets appear to have, we do develop at least in a limited sense the ability to understand when something might be bothering them, or they need something from us. Sometimes it takes a bit to figure out what they are after, but I think owners who pay attention to detail and repetitive behavior can usually figure out what their Basenji or other pet might be after. I certainly wish I could learn to speak dog. It would make my pets life and my life so much easier, and I could also earn a lot of money as an animal behaviorist or phycologist.

Jason

Not to belittle the issue at hand….but Dr. Doolittle (the original, w/ Rex Harrison) was one of my favorite movies growing up. Ahhh... if only....."I could talk to the animals....". That being said, I think you are right about the body language, ComcDom1. That is probably the best indicater of upcoming behavior in any breed (or other animals, including humans). It is the irresponsible pet owner that doesn't take the time to learn these signs that usually ends up with trouble. Personally, I took knowledge from my job with, sometimes, unstable and dangerous humans, and used it (as far as body language) to help when i got my first B. Learning to read the signs has saved me a world of hurt (physical and mental), both at work and with my Bs.:)

• Body language is important. Learning how to use eye contact and tone of voice is important too. For instance: If you speak to your dog in a high pitched tone, it indicates excitement and that your are pleased with them…If you lower your tone, especially when they've done something you are unhappy about, they recognize this easier than the words themselves. At least that's been my experience.

Dogs (and cats) use so many communication methods...it's a matter of working with your own dog (or cat.) There are other subtle methods I use and AJ seems to respond to my cues rather well. Again, I have different requirements than other pet people.

Zest's person could probably help too, having looked at her agility trials.

• @AJs:

Body language is important. Learning how to use eye contact and tone of voice is important too. For instance: If you speak to your dog in a high pitched tone, it indicates excitement and that your are pleased with them…If you lower your tone, especially when they've done something you are unhappy about, they recognize this easier than the words themselves. At least that's been my experience.

Dogs (and cats) use so many communication methods...it's a matter of working with your own dog (or cat.) There are other subtle methods I use and AJ seems to respond to my cues rather well. Again, I have different requirements than other pet people.

Zest's person could probably help too, having looked at her agility trials.

Ah yes, they really do respond well to a higher tone and lower tone when speaking to them. Whenever Kananga has done something naughty, I don't even need to motion anything, I just say his name in a low tone and he instantly responds to it knowing he has done something wrong. The ol' whippet ears go into action.

I always use a higher tone when he's playing so he understands the difference. Seems to work.

Suggested Topics