• Miranda and I have a gate on the bathroom that is off our bedroom. Roo's crate is also located in this bathroom which has a ceramic floor. Roo's food dish and water bowl live in this area as well. When we both leave the house, Bonzo our boston goes into her crate that is in the bedroom and Roo's dog bed is put in the bathroom along with plenty of toys to keep him busy. We started giving both dogs a couple of Chicken Chip treats when we go to leave and kennel them. This is worked out well for us because when we are getting ready to go, both dogs get walked, and as we come in the door we say kennel. They both run to their respective kennels and wait patiently for their treats.

They have both gotten into the habit of going where they are supposed to because of this practice.

Jason

• @nobarkus:

How high is the fence Ann? The outsiders shouldn't be able to get in if it's high enough. I have dogs all around me but none attempt to get in. There's even 2 Pitbulls behind me and there's no attempt to get in. Buddy is perfectly fine in the back all day. I just bought him a dog house from COSTCO online and I put 2 thick towels folded up in there with a small water bowl. My first Basenji (1975-1992) lived outside its whole life with no problems. She was actually an excellent guard dog.
    How old is Noel?

Hi Dan. Thanks for your feedback. Noel will be 5 in November. (I don't know how she spent her first 4 years.) Our fence is 6' so other dogs can't get in…it's her reaction to them that could cause problems. I'm sort of a hyper worrier since Noel has a weak front leg. It was badly broken in December and, when there's squirrel/dog activity around the yard or in the alley behind us, she forgets about her leg and goes into a full run and jump mode. It's great to see her fly over our 2' stone ledge and run the periphery of yard like a guard dog or chase a squirrel back to its tree, but if left outside alone all day there's the potential that she'll overdo it and tire out her leg to the point of pain. I know I'm sounding over-protective...The vet recommends plenty of exercise but in small doses to avoid the fatigue thing. (I'll be posting some queries soon in relation to this!)

• @Ann:

Hi Dan. Thanks for your feedback. Noel will be 5 in November. (I don't know how she spent her first 4 years.) Our fence is 6' so other dogs can't get in…it's her reaction to them that could cause problems. I'm sort of a hyper worrier since Noel has a weak front leg. It was badly broken in December and, when there's squirrel/dog activity around the yard or in the alley behind us, she forgets about her leg and goes into a full run and jump mode. It's great to see her fly over our 2' stone ledge and run the periphery of yard like a guard dog or chase a squirrel back to its tree, but if left outside alone all day there's the potential that she'll overdo it and tire out her leg to the point of pain. I know I'm sounding over-protective...The vet recommends plenty of exercise but in small doses to avoid the fatigue thing. (I'll be posting some queries soon in relation to this!)

OK Ann, now I see your dilemma here. This is a tuff one keeping a Basenji still or low activity especially when you're not there. The only other thing you could do is set up a kennel run or large dog pen to reduce the area. see this picture.
    http://www.seefido.com/html/dog_kennel_runs_pen_fence_.htm

Suggested Topics