• I've been using Heartguard for awhile but recently switched to Wormshield. It's essentially the same thing, but a fraction of the price of Heartguard.

• We use Heartgard as well and have since the problem with Ivermectin was discovered. At that time we had some mutts on the farm, and unsure about their parentage, we switched immediately. We test yearly and our dogs come off Heartgard Dec, Jan, Feb. It's expensive, but the alternative is an even more expensive and painful treatment for heart worm.

Thanks for the heads upon the Wormshield. I'm going to look it up right now.

• I use Interceptor on all 3 of mine (2 adults & 1 pup). The med in Interceptor is Milbemycin. Heartgard Plus is the one with Ivermectin…known to cause seizures in some breeds (collies, whippets, some others).

In Maine I only use it from April - October (and do blood tests yearly in the spring) - mosquitoes don't like our winters 😃 so I don't like to give the kids meds they don't need.

All 3 of mine take it as though it is a treat...usually I ask for a sit for it.

• OOPS!:o My mistake! We switched from the Ivermectin (30 plus?)years ago to Interceptor. We have since switched to Heartgard since we haven't had a mixed breed in 20 some years.

Thanks for the correction.:)

• Jaycee been on Interceptor since we got her and so far great no problem. She does not like to eat it we do have to give a little help down her mouth. In Kansas depends on winter we have to use year around to be safe. Our Shiba been on it for years.

Rita Jean

• I looked up Wormshield not sure about it never heard of it. On the website I went to it showed it has ivermectin/pyrantel. Do not know if that is good or bad for your dog.

Rita Jean

• @Rita:

I looked up Wormshield not sure about it never heard of it. On the website I went to it showed it has ivermectin/pyrantel. Do not know if that is good or bad for your dog.

Rita Jean

It sounds like this is a risk for dogs/breeds that have the mutant MDR1 gene, but not a severe risk. I'm not aware of Basenjis having this problem. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/breeds.aspx

Approximately 3 of every 4 Collies in the United States have the mutant MDR1 gene. The frequency is about the same in France and Australia, so it is likely that most Collies worldwide have the mutation. The MDR1 mutation has also been found in Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties). Australian Shepherds, Old English Sheepdogs, English Shepherds, German Shepherds, Long-haired Whippets, Silken Windhounds, and a variety of mixed breed dogs.

Ivermectin (antiparasitic agent)-While the dose of ivermectin used to prevent heartworm infection is SAFE in dogs with the mutation (6 micrograms per kilogram), higher doses, such as those used for treating mange (300-600 micrograms per kilogram) will cause neurological toxicity in dogs that are homozygous for the MDR1 mutation (mutant/mutant) and can cause toxicity in dogs that are heterozygous for the mutation (mutant/normal).

• @nobarkus:

What heartworm med do you use?

I use Heartguard

• Wormshield is distributed by Banfield. Isn't that the Vet clinic's inside Pet Smart? It is for Hook and Round worms also. Not sure that it is really necessary for a mostly house dog to have to be medicated for Hook and Round worms monthly? Just my opinion

From this site
    http://www.banfield.net/r/banfield-aims-to-reduce-heartworm-
    WormShield for dogs (provided exclusively by Banfield), which prevents heartworm from developing, as well as treats and controls roundworms and hookworms.

• @Kananga:

It sounds like this is a risk for dogs/breeds that have the mutant MDR1 gene, but not a severe risk. I'm not aware of Basenjis having this problem. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I have not heard of a problem specifically with basenjis…and they aren't named on the Heartgard Plus website (which was where I read the warning originally). Plenty of people use Ivermectin on their dogs just fine.

• We use heartguard, and usually year round…though some years I will skip a month or two in the worst of winter...but then must retest in the spring. My vet will let us skip the test for every other year if they have been on continual preventative.

Most of the US has a heartworm population...but just in the last 10 years or so has it spread to the west coast to the point that people are being advised to use a preventative...at least that is my understanding. Apparently there is an up and coming heartworm that is effecting cats now.

• @tanza:

I use Heartguard

How about the Heartguard Plus? Is hook worms and round worms a problem encountered much?

• I also use Interceptor. Heartgard causes stomach upset in my boy Nicky so I switched to Interceptor and no longer have that problem.

• @nobarkus:

How about the Heartguard Plus? Is hook worms and round worms a problem encountered much?

I don't see much of a problem with round or hook, so I just go with the straight Heartguard. One of mine did have a reaction to the Heartguard (but I think it was the plus) so we switched her to Interceptor. I have not had any problems with any of mine on Heartguard that were living with me.

Again, it is not a wide problem in No. California, but I have heard the same as Andrea… so I would rather be safe then sorry...

• I don't remember the med I use, but I think it's Heartguard Plus. I figure with the daily visits to the dog parks, especially after seeing the dogs there, I'd rather protect from too many worms than too few. Medjai has to go smell everything and I want to make sure he doesn't catch anything.

• @etzbseder:

I don't remember the med I use, but I think it's Heartguard Plus. I figure with the daily visits to the dog parks, especially after seeing the dogs there, I'd rather protect from too many worms than too few. Medjai has to go smell everything and I want to make sure he doesn't catch anything.

It does become a personal choice… and there is a risk to picking up worms at dog park... so I think you have made a good choice... I don't go to dog parks so not as concerned about that happening....

When I first started with my B's I did use the Plus... and never had a problem but then decided that it was not a concern about round and hook worms... now tape on the other hand... is a concern. Of course the Plus doesn't cover that... and mine would get tape from catching and eating "critters" in the yard... or at lure trials...

• We use Heartguard Plus year round, still have to get tested yearly. Even with that, Topper got hookworms a few months ago. He had various symptoms, we were not really thinking worms but he pooped right outside the vets and I picked it up and still had it in the bag so asked them to test it. After a long look they found hooks. Topper was obviously feeling better within 48 hours of treatment. We do often go to dog parks, but if you read info on hookworms, they are at beaches, most anywhere that has moist dirt!
    But back to the original point, we have never had any issues with Heartguard plus.

• My vet switched from Heartguard to something starting with an I (brand name not ivermectin) but only dispenses for April-November. It controls all sorts of worms. He has been keeping stats and has shown a marked decrease in the number of cases since last year.
    Since mine have always been rabbit hunters and frequently chomp down on their prey when they do catch them, I prefer protection that includes tape worms.

• @wizard:

My vet switched from Heartguard to something starting with an I (brand name not ivermectin) but only dispenses for April-November. It controls all sorts of worms. He has been keeping stats and has shown a marked decrease in the number of cases since last year.
    Since mine have always been rabbit hunters and frequently chomp down on their prey when they do catch them, I prefer protection that includes tape worms.

I had always been told that meds for tape are always separate from other all around worm meds? I suppose that could have changed… and they now include it..... I know when we have had tape, it was a pill only for tapeworms. Also to complete a cycle of tapeworms in dogs, there must be fleas present also. Of course in "eating" caught critters... easy enough to ingest fleas too.

Suggested Topics