13 week old puppy on Craigslist

• @westcoastflea1:

yes it should be fun, i hope

hoping that "the dog doesnt know how to ask to go outside" doesnt mean she isnt housetrained ):

she is crate trained so that will be a plus if there are any problems, not that i ever needed to use a crate with my first b but…. from what ive read on this forum it might be a useful tool

hopefully i wont be housebound with her like i was with sebastian 🙂

just hoping that she will enjoy lots of time at the dog park, sleeping in my bed, getting to go for walks etc etc

since she is a tri im hoping lucy or lola will work for a name

lucy like in charlie brown? dark and a tomboy with an attitude 🙂

while bunny is a nice enough name i just cant see myself at the dog park calling for bunny 🙂

im assuming from what little info ive gathered (breeders first name) that she is from the kenset line
    anyone know anything about those bs?

Has she been DNA tested for Fanconi? And is she (the breeder) still breeding? If so and she has health problems, she should not be…. nor would I consider that person responsible.

• fairly certain i know where this dog is coming from not 100% but…
    ive put the info ive received together and it seems to point to one breeder
    if its the breeder i think it is then awhile back someone mentioned that almost all of dogs in her lines come from fanconi free kennels (most of them are from the kenset line )

some testing seems to have been done by this breeder.

im not adopting the dog just fostering til shes adopted.

my info is that she is getting out of breeding because of her health and is going to keep one puppy.
    ill meet her on thursday
    must be tough to give up your dogs ):

• Still good to be safe regardless of the pedigree and have the dogs tested especially if the sire and dam have not yet been. At least, IMO

• The cheek swab is worth the $$ to do it. It will show you what is going to be happening down the road for any b you might want to own.

• yes it would be good

but its not up to me

and while i know everyone thinks brat should dna test rescues before listing them for adoption i have to say that im really divided on the issue of dna testing rescue basenjis for fanconi

(i know this is soooo politically incorrect)

i understand why an adopter would want to know if the b they are considering adopting has fanconi

and that more then likely 99% of the potential adopters wouldnt take the dog if they were told its positive

but…. what do you do with all the rescue dogs that do test positive for fanconi?

you'd get a huge bottle neck in the system, dogs who test positive languishing in foster care for months and months and years which would keep healthy dogs from getting into foster care and adopted.

not enough foster homes as it is

the only solution to the problems caused by dna testing all dogs in rescue would be to put them down once tested

there simply wouldnt be enough adopters or permanent fosters for the dogs who tested positive

while fanconi testing rescues helps the potential adopters know if the b they have chosen will die of certain illness, not of old age, dna testing does nothing for the rescue dogs who need families
    and as much as i hate to say its the basenjis that should come first right?

i know people will say that fanconi is a terrible illness not one you want to go through with your b

my b maya died 5 months after being diagnosed with oral squamous cell cancer, terrible terrible thing, its been over 2 years and im still not over it, but if there had been a test to tell me that this would happen to her would i have opted to not adopt her? NO of course not

im sure a lot of people here have gone thru similar things with their bs and im sure none of them would have opted out having those bs in their lives because they knew how their b would die

so why is fanconi so different?
    just because we can test for it?

basenjis with fanconi have the right to live out their lives in a healthy way for as long as they can with their new families dont they?

i believe dna testing rescue basenjis would keep that from happening for most, if not all of them.

boy i got on my soapbox tonight 🙂

• Oh, I am sorry. I thought you were taking this b in for yourself.
    Sorry I misunderstood…

• not a problem:)
    its good that you want to let new adopters know about fanconi
    im just the foster mom for now 🙂

Suggested Topics