Skip to content

Its a service yard the same of a crate?

Basenji Training
  • Its a service yard the same of a crate?

    I read that basenjis need to be crate training, but i hava a small space
    so i want to kown how necesary its crate training?

    I left Maca free in the app. but left the room's doors close.

    So Maca run free in the couchs and make pee on them :rolleyes::(

    well at least she is popping in the floor.

    Today i clean the service rooms and put some newspaper on that and the waters bowl.

    I still make some training puttin Maca on that place for an hour, so i can make the rooms without her ripping my clothes..

    its the same or i need to buy an expensive crate and dont have the space to put the crate..

    I hope my english is enough..:D

  • Make sure the area is puppy proof and there is nothing that Maca can get her collar caught. Service room like a laundry room?? or part of the yard outside??

  • Service room like a laundry room, its a balcony.. but have a roof.

    Its an apartment so the roof its the next apt. and so on.

    There is the laundry machine and that's all, Maca don't use collar in that place.. for now im trying to make the place for peeing when im go to work, but with me at home and clean i want to put maca for some time.. no more than an hour. So i can clean the house without maca ripping the clothes.

  • I would suggest you make sure the balcony is fenced so she can't stick her head through it and get caught. Put some special toy or treat out there so Maca doesn't think it is punishment but thinks it is something special.

  • Oh! the balcony has wall, she cant go out there in any way, just jumping, but she cant jump so tall. At least for now.

    I ll put some special toys.. thanks.

Suggested Topics

  • Crate training

    Basenji Training
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    7k Views
    ZandeZ
    Exactly as it should be ! Happiness well deserved :grinning_face:
  • Crate training

    Basenji Training
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    7k Views
    basenji_fanB
    When you feed him in the crate and close do you walk away? I had a foster that was terrified of the crate and also suffered terrible anxiety w/peeing in the crate too. So I would feed him in the crate and then close the door and sit right there with him. At first I only closed the door half way, did that way for about a week then was able to close it all the (without latching) for another week. I would sit right next to the crate and praise him for eating his meals. Then I would scoot a few feet back at one meal, move back at the next and do that for a for a few times. Then I would stay at the few feet back. It is a slow process but it really really helped him in his crate training process and getting him over his fear. I was soon able to feed him in his crate and walk away. He was running to his crate and sitting for his meals. He still had his anxiety for long periods w/the peeing problem but we even worked on that were we could leave for short times and he wouldn't pee in his crate
  • Crate Tray

    Basenji Training
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    wrx227wrcW
    I did, Pat. They are both Midwest and they wanted like $35 for each plus 20 shipping last I checked!! Foster&Smith seems like the cheapest. About $57 for one 36" and one 42" with shipping. Right now I've got George in a crappy old metal one (that has a rusted tray) and Pig is in one with a blanket. I decided I better get new ones just because I don't like him in the rusty one or Pig without a tray. I went to another pet store today and they wanted $40 and $37. Crazy! Thanks for the ideas guys…
  • Wrestling in the crate

    Basenji Training
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    ComicDom1C
    Our dogs do wander in and out of each other crates. They will even lay down in the others crates. Having said that, I am of the opinion that each dogs individual crate should be their own safe place. I know our Boston uses hers as a place to retreat when she does not wish to be bothered by the Basenji or just senses she needs to be out of the way. Roo our Basenji actually seems to respect that and will usually leave her be. Of course her crate is smaller so it would be difficult for both of them to be in it at once. Jason
  • Crate suggestions

    Basenji Training
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    VanessaV
    @tanza: Do you use a wire crate? I have always used General Cage Crates.. and they have lasted for many, many years… I have ones that are 16 yrs old that are just in great condition. http://www.generalcage.com/Shopping/default.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1 We use wire crates too. The tray in the bottom locks so they can't push it out and its hard to destroy :D
  • Home alone-but not in the crate

    Basenji Training
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    19k Views
    torchsongT
    She-Ra was one of those "Mall Pet Store" basenji's so even as a pup she'd gotten accustomed to eliminating where she ate, so crate training was really not much of a success. However, using pee-pads, if you're going to be gone, isn't a hard thing to train them to use (spray with bitter apple spray though…She-Ra LOVES to chew up the pee-pads!). We've also used "baby gates" with success to keep her out of danger rooms (kitchen, etc.). While Basenji's are natural climbers, Target sells a nice one that she's not been able to handle. Finally, just "Puppy-proof" your home and leave plenty of toys and chews around. Every now and then you'll come home to an accident, but for the most part she's quite content to have the run of (most of) the house.