Skip to content

Greeting Problem

Behavioral Issues
  • How do I get Sahara to stop jumping on people when they come to my door, or inside? As soon as the doorbell rings she is off to the front door like lightning struck her. She does not jump on me, I taught her to set to get petted when I come home from work. I say, "Sit Sahara" and she does, do I do the same when people come to my door?

  • <_>

    Yes. And…keep a leash on her when people are coming to the door. Step on the leash to keep her from jumping when greeting. When she is calm, ask her to sit, reward her when she does. Don't let anyone give her any attention until she has four on the floor._

  • Amen to the leash. That was my salvation in terms of fear of Gibby bolting out or jumping on visitors. After many months of making this the norm, he now sits and waits for the leash to go on and allows people in without immediately jumping on them. Naturally, he is curious after he is unleashed but he doesn't feel the need to jump up to get attention. With B's it sure does take months of reinforcement to get the concept identified but they will respond if you are consistent.

Suggested Topics

  • Initial dominance problem

    Behavioral Issues
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    7k Views
    wizardW
    The NILF program is exactly the sort of thing your basenji needs. She has hit teenage time and like human teenagers is pushing authority. In this case, don't push her off the couch or yank the afghan from under her or any of those sorts of manuvers. Start by getting her attention just before she is going to jump onto the couch by offering a treat diverting her attention away from the couch. If she decides to come for the treat, she gets it, and then gets to be on the couch as a double reward; if she decides to complete her jump to the couch instead, she doesn't get the treat. Once she starts to look at you first ("asking permission") before she takes the couch then the reward becomes the couch. And to get her off the couch, use the reverse. Offer her a treat in such a way that she has to get off the couch to get it and click as soon as she decides to get off Once she understands that, add the "off" word. You might have to use treats just for this exercise that she wouldn't get any other time to make this more enticing to her. You might also want to introduce mat work so that she has to go to her mat or afghan or whatever, on the floor, instead of getting on the couch in the first place.
  • Problem with Crating !!!!

    Behavioral Issues
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    Chealsie508C
    It's true, I've never had to even think about crating until I got Oakley. All previous breeds were no problem staying loose in the house, oak is very house destructive so that was a no go, we also went through crate phobia but at 16 months he tolerates it better than I ever imagined
  • Chewing problems

    Behavioral Issues
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    7k Views
    Shaye's MomS
    @Rocky1: Basenjis chew,this s a fact of life. It might sound like a crazy thing to do,but I bite my pups back. It teaches them that I'M THE BOSS ! It has worked for me for the almost 36 years that I've lived with the little beastys. You can call me crazy,or wrong I don't care Works for me,and my dogs all respect me,and love me. Kathryn Wow, Kathryn - that's funny! I'm sure you just nibble a little. Their feet smell like Tostitos, so just wondering -does the rest of the dog taste like a snack??? LOL
  • My boy has a problem with our intimacy….sigh

    Behavioral Issues
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    14k Views
    TuckerVAT
    Tucker just hops on the bed and lies down beside us. We've gotten used to it and just ignore him… ;)
  • Help please before there is a problem

    Behavioral Issues
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    9k Views
    rnastoR
    Robin, could you email me please rnasto@gmail.com I need to meet later in the day like 1ish would that be alright???? I hope it is
  • BIG problems with Jack…

    Behavioral Issues
    105
    0 Votes
    105 Posts
    68k Views
    Capt_Jack_our_BasenjiC
    Again, if you would like Peter's number then I am happy to get it for you. Also, if I can help at all please let me know. Sophie and Stick would love to take him to the park with us for a big B romp.:D Kiss the baby and pet Jack for me! Audrey Id LOVE LOVE LOVE to meet up at the dog park thats EXACTLY what Jack needs. You tell me the night before what time your going to be there and Im THERE!!! (depending on the weather because i have the baby, lol) But i KNOW Jack would LOVE to go to the park!! Let me know Oh and the trainer we have been meeting with is doing well…Jack has been around some visiters recently and did GREAT we had NO problems!! But its still early so, im hoping for the best!!:p