Skip to content

Vaccinations 101 – The Whole Dog Journal August 2008 issue

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Weight issue

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    10k Views
    tanzaT
    @Rebel - Full blood workup including full Thyroid panel (full panel no just what the normal vet workup that is not a full thyroid panel)... as they say make sure that he is in good health. Also what are you feeding him? How much total are you feeding a day? Also with reducing food, add veggies to his food to fill his belly... green beans are good to use... I use Cauliflower and Broccoli... Note also that low normal is typically too low for Basenjis.
  • Puppy Vaccines ?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    10k Views
    tanzaT
    @jengosmonkey - NuHeart only does Heartworm, Heartguard Plus has meds for roundworms & hookworm. And people that give heartworm for 6 months are typically people that live in climates that have a cold winter, ie: when the ground freezes. We do not have that in this part of No. California so I give it year round.
  • Some info on vaccinations

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    16k Views
    N
    @kjdonkers Thanks for answering so quickly! I'm glad & happy to hear the boys are doing well! It's great to hear that they got hired by a Company & you said it perfectly, ... "their special skills and talents". :)
  • Age issues or behavioral issues

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    4k Views
    agilebasenjiA
    @Patty: Personally I would take her to the vet to get her checked out for bowel or urinary infections. If she is losing sight and hearing she may be frightened. It sounds as though you need to step back a pace to calm your reactions. I can appreciate that you are getting fed up with all the work but she is an old dog. My present oldie (15) has taken to peeing (and pooing) indoors at times but I know I need to put her outside more often as she doesn't have the control she once had. She has also become blind and is certainly more aggressive with the others because of that. Any way first things first and do take her to the vet, please. Let us know how you get on. I have to agree with everything Patty wrote. Changing behavior ALWAYS needs a vet check. Increase aggresssion can be due to thyroid issues, pain, tick-born diseases, constant hunger (due to other things), etc. You didn't say in your post if you'd recently seen a vet and discussed her new issues. My oldest (16 in December) has failing kidneys (nonFanconi) and does need to pee more often. So, I put pee pads down in the house in his favorite pee spots. He's usually pretty good about that, but he does still pee in other spots if I'm not watching him carefully or if he gets a bit aggitated about the sitting arrangements. Would your pup stay in an exercise pen? That would give her a little more room than a crate.
  • 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    Kris_ChristineK
    @khanis: This has been this way for quite some time. There hasn't been a difference in the 1 and 3-yr vaccines for as long as I have paid attention to them… True, but so many pet owners are unaware of this fact.
  • Recommended Vaccinations?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    31
    0 Votes
    31 Posts
    17k Views
    Kris_ChristineK
    renaultf1, I wish the state would also accept titers for rabies, but maybe in the future they will. There is an in-house titer kit available from Synbiotics in San Diego called "TiterChek" that vets can do at their office to check for adequate antibody levels on a pass/fail basis – it won't give you a specific antibody count the way a titer sent to a lab will, but it will let you know if your animal has enough to protect them. We have those done whenever we need to board our dogs rather than having boosters. Kris