• I was thinking of showing Medjai at the upcoming dog shows in Greeley. I was wondering if there was anyone in Greeley that wouldn't mind helping me out some. I am completely new to showing, so I also welcome any and all information from others out there.

Medjai likes to point. I am trying to fix that, but how bad is it if he stands on the ground with 3 legs down?

How long ahead of the show do you have to register, and how would I go about it?

Anything else you would like to tell me? I am going to the greeley kennel club classes on showing, so that should help.

• **You probably should take him to handling class to learn the basics and to get a hang of what handling is all about??
    I used to go to handling class on Wed night at Mantayo Kennel in Lakewood.
    http://www.mantayokennels.com/
    Cross streets Wadsworth and Florida (I think is Florida)
    I would HIGHLY recommend Wed night class taught by Dori and Jay.
    Jay Acker is totally awesome and very patient with everybody
    including novice handler. He has very soft hands and he is
    just GREATER than GREAT!
    So classes are Wed night from 6-7, 7-8 and 8-9.

To enter the show. Most shows closes about 3 weeks before the
    show weekend. Always on a Wed before noon.
    http://www.onofrio.com
    Onofrio is the superintendent for 99% of CO shows.
    Go there, you can check deadlines of each show
    and you can enter online thru the website.

But before you do so, you need to have Medjai's
    AKC number, names of his sire and dam, DOB, owners and
    breeders info and your credit card in front of you
    when you enter. You need to type fast or they are
    gonna time you out and you have to start all over again.

You can email me at chiyabasenjis@gmail.com if you have
    more questions regarding showing.

I probably won't be going to the Greeley shows, but maybe
    maybe just for one day. As I have to work on weekends.**

• I agree with Steffie, I would go to some handling classes now to get you and Medjai prepared for what to expect. Since the shows aren't until August you have some time to get in some practice and learn what to expect. It will be especially good for Medjai to get used to having people going over him on the table.

Since entries don't close until July 30th, I would print the entry form from the Onofrio website and then mail the entry in since I personally hate paying the inflated credit card fee for online entries. But I am a cheapskate when it comes to those stupid fees.

• Might you have any specifics on the Basenjis with what judges look for specifically? I started classes yesterday, but the people there don't know much at all about basenjis.

• I am not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean is there anything special you need to know above and beyond the normal show procedure?

When the dog is on the table you should expect that the judge is going to touch him all over, including checking for both testicles, and often will run a finger under and around the tail to make sure it set naturally. The judge may check the bite themselves or ask you to do it. Some judges are more hands on than others so your dog should be okay with having a stranger having hands all over him.

Most judges will ask for a down and back and a once around to look at movement coming and going and to see side gait.

If you can find a copy, I would recommend trying to get a hold of a copy of the Basenji Stacked and Moving by Robert Cole. They are no longer in print and can get quite expensive but every so often you can luck upon a copy that is reasonably priced.

• @etzbseder:

I was thinking of showing Medjai at the upcoming dog shows in Greeley. I was wondering if there was anyone in Greeley that wouldn't mind helping me out some. I am completely new to showing, so I also welcome any and all information from others out there.

Medjai likes to point. I am trying to fix that, but how bad is it if he stands on the ground with 3 legs down?

How long ahead of the show do you have to register, and how would I go about it?

Anything else you would like to tell me? I am going to the greeley kennel club classes on showing, so that should help.

Go to the AKC site, there is a great section for beginners and showing.

http://www.akc.org/events/conformation/beginners.cfm

• Also, read the AKC description on Basenjis (breed standard) that is what a judge is supposed to look for…

• The book Show Me by D. Caroline Coile Phd has very high reviews as being an excellent book for beginners.

• @lvoss:

If you can find a copy, I would recommend trying to get a hold of a copy of the Basenji Stacked and Moving by Robert Cole. They are no longer in print and can get quite expensive but every so often you can luck upon a copy that is reasonably priced.

Here is an online copy: http://www.basenjiclubofcanada.com/BCOC-BobCole.html

Suggested Topics