• I have to warn you that IMO you need to charge a fee for this basenji.
    $100 would weed out folks who will not work through issues the dog has.
    A free dog is likely to be shown the front door and let run…"after all, he didn't cost us anything!" type of thinking.
    Just my opinion.

• @sharronhurlbut:

I have to warn you that IMO you need to charge a fee for this basenji.
    $100 would weed out folks who will not work through issues the dog has.
    A free dog is likely to be shown the front door and let run…"after all, he didn't cost us anything!" type of thinking.
    Just my opinion.

I totally agree with you Sharron, you can't even go to a shelter without paying an adoption fee….

• I forwarded your post to my friend who owns a B/W female B named Lucy. She's interested in a second dog and she's a fantastic B owner, very gentle and responsible. Her name is Sarah. I hope she contacts you soon.

• If you don't feel right benefiting from a fee, I'd suggest a $100 donation to the Basenji Health fund, or your favorite local rescue in lieu of an adoption fee.

• I wish I could take him too!! We're right in your area. He is soooo cute and needs a second chance. I'm all about helping dogs get that second moment. Unfortunately we live in a small apt too right now and already have two B's- one male, one female. If you're ever interested in meeting up for play dates, please let me know! 🙂 And keep us posted on little Odie. Love that name too! So cute!

• I wanted to chime in and say I met Odie and he was a sweetheart! As soon as I met him he wanted to play, let me pet him, and was coming up to me for attention.. I really hope he finds a great home.. he deserves a second chance!

• Not to worry … Odie has found a great new home even without my charging an adoption fee. (I would never have allowed him to go to a home I didn't feel completely comfortable with, and Craigslist doesn't allow you to sell dogs). Luckily, a family in New Jersey contacted me. They previously had an older male and in January adopted a young female through BRAT. Their older male died of cancer a couple of months ago, and so they were looking for a new B as a companion for their girl. (Free was a good price for them, too, since they had just spent a lot of money on their boy who passed). Follow up reports from the new family suggest Odie is doing extremely well in his new home. It was very hard to let him go as I had become quite attached (and vice versa) in his 9 weeks with me, but I'm thrilled he's in a home where he can get more individual attention and affection.

• Congratulations on finding Odie a good home!

• Yea! good job!

• Wonderful news; give them this website so we can see more of him.

Suggested Topics