Annual season explanation wanted!

• Hi everyone

can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction to find out why Basenjis only have one estrus cycle per year please? I have spent a lot of time researching this and can't quite find a definitive answer! I understand it may be to do with their origins, some kind of circannual rhythm? I also read it is dues to a reccesive gene they carry. any help greatly appreciated form the experts!

• Most wild dogs have only one estrus. This makes sense because they want to have their litters when there is the highest chance for survival and that resources will be available. The belief is that since basenjis are less domesticated than most breeds they have maintained a once a year estrus. There are some families are basenjis that are starting to cycle twice a year.

• And not all Basenjis have only one season a year, we are finding more and more that are coming into season twice a year. However, many time the spring season is a false season and while many have tried to breed during that season, the breedings didn't take.

• thank you very much both of you, most helpful. is it nothing to do with being an African breed then?

• @caspar:

thank you very much both of you, most helpful. is it nothing to do with being an African breed then?

I would guess in some respect, but I know other rare breeds that only come in season once a year…

• I had read somewhere (probably on wikipedia or something) that they come in to season once a year and the timing is such that they have the litter when there was a low chance of flooding in Africa. This coincides with what lvoss said, but as I said, I didn't get it from a highly reliable source….but I think it is an interesting theory anyway.

• Hmm, I have heared about types of Wolfhound (in German the breed is called Tchechoslowakischer Wolfshund) which also become their oestrus once a Year.

I think it has something to do with how domesticated the breed is. I thought Dingos also have only one Oestrus per Year, Wolves as well…

Greetings,
    Esther

Suggested Topics