What should i be feeding my basenji?

• I have ever found that the "size" made much of a difference… but I like the size of the Wellness Potato and Duck... and in fact I am just now trying the Wellness Core...

There are all kinds of thoughts on the kibble size... some say they will get more benefit out of chewing... others will say... not the case... The only time I would worry about the size is for the elders... they do have problems sometimes chewing especially if they have lost teeth over the years....

• @BDawg:

I mixed a scoop into their Blue Buffalo food to start the transition and put their bowl down… And guess what? Now not only did they pick out the life pellets, but they spit out the Blue Buffalo too!! Little monsters!!

But looks like this might be successful!! 🙂

Question: Do you think I should have gotten the big bites instead of the smaller kibble?

Ha, ha, ha…sounds like exactly what Ruby did when I switched her old food to EVO & now Timberwolf to Orijens...so much for trying to switch slowly when they won't eat the old food and only pick out the new food! Hope you didn't have too much of the Blue Buffalo left 😃 :D.

p.s. I even thought I could use the rest of the Timberwolf in their Busy Buddies & Kongs, and they won't touch it...the kids are too damned smart!!!

I wouldn't worry about the size of the kibble...from everyone I've talked to, it sounds like Ruby might have been an exception.

• Switching to Orijen (what I REALLY wanted the first time, but had to compromise)… Miles is already picking them out and eating them first over the EVO! The pellets are bigger in the Orijen. I'll keep you posted... 🙂

• BDawg…Which Orijen...Adult or 6 Fresh Fish?

• We did the Adult. Price check: $59

Fresh Fish was $66

• @tanza:

IMO.. I think this is a great website to look at foods to feed

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

I have rather suddenly switched my dogs to Taste of the Wild w/roasted wild fowl –- I didn't plan to, but the store where I buy my Merricks is extremely inconsistent and I haven't been able to get it for a week and literally ran out of food this morning, so chose a food that they seem to always have in stock --and I can't find the roasted fowl variety on this list.
    The prairie and pacific varieties get good ratings though, so is it relatively safe to assume the roasted fowl is probably good?

I am sooo frustrated with Pet Town right now!!

• I have fed the wild foul (poultry) version of Taste Of The Wild, and like it just fine. I have fed all 3. I know we have mentioned it a time or two on the list. Probably most of the time we're not mentioning the specific flavor though?

When you see Prairie mentioned, it might be referring to a different brand, aka Nature's Variety. Prairie is their main line of food. Instinct is the grain free line.

• @kiroja:

I have fed the wild foul (poultry) version of Taste Of The Wild, and like it just fine. I have fed all 3. I know we have mentioned it a time or two on the list. Probably most of the time we're not mentioning the specific flavor though?

When you see Prairie mentioned, it might be referring to a different brand, aka Nature's Variety. Prairie is their main line of food. Instinct is the grain free line.

Thanks. The dogs seem to like it well enough. One of my kids just came in and said there's evidence of diarrhea in the yard:(, but have no idea from which dog. Could be the sudden food change for any of them, or Gypsy having problems. I need to watch more closely when they go out again.

The prairie I mentioned was TOTW - the one w/bison.

I went back through several posts on feeding but couldn't find any thing specific on TOTW, but got tired of looking so asked.
    Thanks again for getting back to me.

• We feed a mixture of Evo and Purina One.

• I feed www.vetschoice.com
    The food I like is the Holistic Health Extension Little Bites and you can order it online and have it shipped directly to you.

Suggested Topics