Skip to content

Wow Some Pet Food Freaks Me Out!!

Basenji Feeding
  • So as I am sure most of you do, I have never let my dogs,cats,birds, or ferrets eat avocado. I have always understood both from research and from my vets that it contains a toxin to most animals. So I was in the pet store yesterday looking for some training treats, and happened upon a brand of dog food that advertises as being high in avocado. I was soo confused. I am wondering if they some how eliminate the persin (toxic chemical in avocado), but I have not had time too look up info on it. Needles to say you really have to check everything you feed your little ones.

  • I am assuming you mean AvoDerm. It has been around for many, many years. Here is a link to their website, http://www.breeders-choice.com/dog_products/avoderm-natural-and-avocado-safety.htm

  • Hey Lisa… must have been at the same place, same time....ggg

  • I understand it has been around a long time but that doesn't really answer the question. Avocado's Fruit, Leaves, and Bark all contain Persin (a chemical that can cause vomiting and intestinal issues in dogs). So how does this food mitigate this issue?

  • @LiveWWSD:

    I understand it has been around a long time but that doesn't really answer the question. Avocado's Fruit, Leaves, and Bark all contain Persin (a chemical that can cause vomiting and intestinal issues in dogs). So how does this food mitigate this issue?

    If you went to the link that lvoss posted they talk about that…...

  • @LiveWWSD:

    I understand it has been around a long time but that doesn't really answer the question. Avocado's Fruit, Leaves, and Bark all contain Persin (a chemical that can cause vomiting and intestinal issues in dogs). So how does this food mitigate this issue?

    This is a quote from the link lvoss provided:

    The avocado meal and oil used in the AvoDerm Natural pet products comes from the meat of the fruit and does not contain leaves, bark, skin or pit of the fruit. The oil is extracted from ripened fruit in which the meat pulp has been separated from the skin and the pit. Through a mechanical separation process the oil is extracted and filtered and placed into sealed containers. The pulp of the fruit is dried, ground, and screened before being placed into its final packaging and than shipped to our facility

  • Awesome thank you for the clarification. I was at work today and couldn't get the link to load. It doesn't really matter for myself as I feed the dogs a BARF diet, but it just made me wonder. As always this is one of the best things about these forums, I love being able to pick all of your brains. Thanx so much. :)

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    11 Posts
    14k Views
    Buddys PalB
    wow, read all through that facebook link you gave, so scary! thanks for the flag to be watched, definitely!
  • Raw food

    Basenji Feeding
    28
    0 Votes
    28 Posts
    23k Views
    L
    We switched our 2 boys to raw from kibble about 6 months ago. The switch came because we were simply exhausted from walking them 3 times a day because they had loose stool (we don't have fenced in yard, so we need to walk them to go to the bathroom). Our vet recommended more fiber in their diet to help with loose stool. This intuitively just didn't resonate with us. Basenji are one of the most ancient breeds of dog… why on earth would more fiber be a solution to their problem (I know the theoretical why, but logically it was counter-intuitive)? We read many sources or literature on the raw diet and thought this would be a good switch for them. Again, they are an ancient breed so moving toward raw foods seemed appropriate and logical. It took that about a month for them to get really accustomed to eating raw chicken quarters, rabbit halves or pork shoulders but now they have no problem gulping their meal right down, bone and all (for those of you who don't feed raw, gulping is a normal behavior and bone is an essential part of the diet). Their digestion issues have vanished and we've even seen marked improvement in their destructive behavior. Two super happy boys now, two super happy Basenji owners!!
  • "human" food or dog food?

    Basenji Feeding
    30
    0 Votes
    30 Posts
    23k Views
    P
    I once had a pup under treatment at the Bristol Veterinary hospital. When they finally sorted the problem I was told now you'll be able to give him real food meaning kibble!1 I always feed raw and whatever but never complete dog food. Having said that it seems that over here we get a new dog food manufactutrer every month and all claim that theirs is the best!!
  • Overall Eco-Friendly Pet Food Ratings

    Basenji Feeding
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    No one has replied
  • Food Time

    Basenji Feeding
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    7k Views
    Robin_n_JackR
    Jack will paw at his water bowl, tip it over, grab and run with it into the living room, throw it around the kitchen…. And not only when it's empty- if he decides he wants fresh water, he'll knock water all over the kitchen floor.:mad:
  • What Food And How Much??

    Basenji Feeding
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    15k Views
    MacPackM
    Topper,12; Nicky 10, ; and Eddie 8 all eat a combination of 3/4 EVO by Innova, and 1/4 regular adult Innova. We free feed, dry kibble is down all the time, but I think I put about 3 cups out a day, some days they eat it all but some days I don't add kibble at all. Mine do get a bit of whatever we have for dinner, mostly veges, they love all veges as long as they are cooked, especially broccoli and sweet potatoes. IT acts as an appetizer, as soon as they finish their plates they run to the kibble bowls to finsih their dinner. We used cheaper grocery store foods for many years but I felt my dogs deseerved a better quality food so tried several premium brands and settled on Innova. Then when they came out with EVO, I slowly added that but when I went 100% EVO, their poops were a bit loose, so we re-added the regular Innova and it seems to suit them perfectly. Eddie's coat was very coarse when we rescued him, he is soft and silky now. Even though it costs about twice as much as the cheaper stuff, I know they are getting good nutrition and their coats glow and their teeth are clean, so it is worth every cent to me. We are what we eat, and if we eat 'animal by products' (hooves, bones, feathers and even sawdust in some) sprayed with flavors and dyed with food colorings, we may be saving money now, but inviting health probelms in the future. Just MHO, but strangers compliment my dogs on their gloss and vigor! Anne in Tampa, off the soapbox