• @Pilotbasenji:

900? 750?
    i got pilot as a 1 month old champion bloodline pure breed for only 450$

1 month old? That is way too young for puppies to go to their new home, many states don't allow a puppy to be sold until they are 8 weeks old. Puppies need to be with their mother and siblings for at least 8 weeks to develop properly especially for things like bite inhibition and appropriate dog/dog interactions.

Also, what was meant by "champion bloodline" I see that on plenty of for profit breeders webpages and ads and usually if you look at the pedigrees the only champions are 3 generations back or more. Also a championship says nothing about the health of the dogs. Most responsible breeders do not use that term as a selling point, they simply list the titles of their dogs.

When a person starts to look for a puppy it is really important to know what you are paying for. Price will fluctuate depending on where in the country you are, just like vet prices fluctuate. Getting a "bargain" price is not always a bargain, if you think about how much it costs to responsibly raise a litter the breeder of a bargain priced puppy must have cut out something to be able to sell the pups at that price. You do need to watch out for breeders who are charging way above what is normal in the area too. You need to know what you are paying for.

This article was written several years ago so some of the prices and costs are out of date and the fanconi test was not out yet but it does give a good idea of what things a responsible breeder pays for.

http://www.geocities.com/rugosab/Prices.htm

• @Pilotbasenji:

i forgot actually before i registered to this forum, but i know that it was a place in oklahoma. his name supposedly was "marymail" before i got him. that probably sounds like a load of bull to you doesnt it? im also fairly sure that they only breed basenjis.

You don't have a contract you could check? You haven't been in touch with your breeder since you brought him home? The breeder should be an excellent point of contact for questions and issues you may have. Bryan at Jumoke was priceless to me when I first brought Jazz home, and over these last three years has been very available to me to answer any questions.

And lvoss raises a good point; I didn't even notice the age in your post. You got Pilot as a 1 month old? I've never even heard of that. 8 weeks minimum, and I've heard of many who prefer to go 10+.

My last two non-B dogs – my current Gypsy and her last companion Maggie --were originally named Cinnamon and ..... get this, because Maggie was white, they'd named her Flour. Flour. And then asked me to keep that name when I took her. Yeah. Flour? Not a chance. That dog's name was changed before the door of my car shut behind her. LOL

• Isn´t the AKC and all governing body here your dog has to be registered at SKK to be called a purebreed dog and the SKK have strict rules which you have abide or else you can´t register or be a Breeder/member.They have staff that do surprise checkup´s at breeders to see they are following the guidelines of treating their dog´s well and no pup can be sold less then 8 weeks it will probably go up to 10 weeks.

• Though in many countries their National registry must be used and rules followed to qualify for registry, the United States has no such requirements. Many "purebred" puppies that are sold in the US by for profit breeders are not actually AKC registered and many of those puppies are of questionable pedigree. Many for profit breeders stopped AKC registering dogs when AKC instituted their Mandatory DNA Profiling for Frequently Used Sires program.

• We can only use a sire three times and a dam can only have three litters in sweden according to the basenji club rules SKK say´s 5 but we have chosen less.The sire can then breed in other countries but not here and basenji club as as a rule that no more then 6,25% related counting on 5 generations.

• @Pilotbasenji:

900? 750?
    i got pilot as a 1 month old champion bloodline pure breed for only 450$

Do you mean you purchased Pilot at 1 month?, not that you took him home? Puppies should never leave the "litter" till at least 8 wks at the soonest?

Is Pilot AKC (American Kennel Club) registered? And champion bloodlines can mean many different things, least of which is how many generations back? If 3 or 4 doesn't really mean much.

Hopefully Pilot's Sire and Dam have been DNA tested for Fanconi? (Not sure when you got him).

And I would be very, very surprised if Basenjis were the only breed, but certainly could be.. however if not health testing and using AKC registration, then still not a responsible breeder.

• pretty sure akc registered, ill get back to you as soon as i can, ill have to find out for sure if it was 1 month, but im absolutely positive that hes a purebreed basenji. besides the fact that hes not very bright, he got out once and chased a car down the street, ive read somewhere that basenjis like to chase cars.

• @Pilotbasenji:

pretty sure akc registered, ill get back to you as soon as i can, ill have to find out for sure if it was 1 month, but im absolutely positive that hes a purebreed basenji. besides the fact that hes not very bright, he got out once and chased a car down the street, ive read somewhere that basenjis like to chase cars.

Well, honestly, Basenjis are very bright… too bright for their own good, as they are a "thinking" dog being a sighthound. And while we lose Basenji to getting hit by cars, I personally don't know any that really like to chase them?.. they chase critters, other dogs, cats, and sometime leafs in the wind, but cars?... not usually... IMO... What you usually hear about Basenjis and cars is that they are not "car smart" in the street and don't respect cars.. as some dogs might

Suggested Topics