• So Dallas had his nails trimmed yesterday while at the vet but as his next appointment isn't until he gets neutered in 3 months I figured I needed to invest in some nail clippers.

Upon researching I see there are two types, the "guillotine" vs. the ones that look more like scissors just with very short ends. What do you use on your pups? Why would one choose one style over the other?

Also, I have heard the brand of "Bamboo" are very good - anyone use these & think they work well & recommend them?

• Have you considered training him to allow you to dremmel his nails? I think many on this list use the grinder instead of clippers.

• Hm…I hadn't thought about using a grinder but that is actually what Midge used & kept his nails pretty short. I'll look into it! He was perfect with the vet cutting his nails yesterday because I have touched his paws so much since I got him. Haha.

• It only takes one bad nail cutting experience & that's it 😞 So we grind using a dremmel & only sandpaper not stone (that can hurt!).

HTH

• Well if I buy a grinder vs clippers can anyone recommend a good one that won't completely break the bank? 🙂

• Go to www.peticure.com
    These are new to the market and very reasonable for the lay person to learn how to grind nails.
    Nails should be done one a week or no longer then every two weeks. (IMO)

• Go to www.peticure.com
    These are new to the market and very reasonable for the lay person to learn how to grind nails.
    Nails should be done one a week or no longer then every two weeks. (IMO)

• Hm looks interesting. Thanks! I'll read more about it & hopefully order it today 🙂 The vet actually told me to not cut his nails as frequently because he said they were really short anyway?

• Dremmel has a rechargable model that isn't that expensive. Once they get used to it…..piece of cake.;)

• I used to dremel mine {well, my dogs' not mine} until my dremel died. I've been clipping until I can get a new one, and I gotta tell ya, I HATE it. I feel like I have less control over just where I am cutting. Consequently, my dogs all have long nails because I am afraid to get too close.

• well impulse buyer that I am , I just bought the peticure that you suggested Pat. I like the features it has over a regular dremel, as Nike and Mia don't really like to get their nails trimmed, I think this will work much better.

• If I were to get the peticure model should I get the petite or the regular size? I also found a dremmel model on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-761-03-Cordless-Grooming-Rotary/dp/B0000C6DZ2

Anyone used this one before?

• @Ninabeana26:

If I were to get the peticure model should I get the petite or the regular size? I also found a dremmel model on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-761-03-Cordless-Grooming-Rotary/dp/B0000C6DZ2

Anyone used this one before?

Since your pup will be over 15lbs when mature, you would be better off with the regular size. And the Dremel that you noted is typically what most of us use (especially us that show). And that is OK too..
    The nice thing about the Peticure (and I am only speaking from seeing the pictures, I don't have one) is that the guard… keeps you from winding up getting your own nails too...

And it does take some practice to use any grinder... along with time to get your pup used to it... but IMO, way better then nail clippers...

• Hm…dremel or peticure...I'll figure something out hopefully. I'll keep you guys updated on how the one I purchase turns out. 🙂

• I use the rechargeable dremel, It's great, Reggie used to be HORRIBLE about geting his nails done, now with the dremel he holds his foot up waiting, and if I do Tiggy's nails first he gets impatient and huffs at me, I do them every Sunday

This is the one I use link the low setting is great for all nails, the high setting I only use when I first start on Reggie's nails, Tigs are to small for a higher speed, but Reggie has big thick nails

• @WBL:

I use the rechargeable dremel, It's great, Reggie used to be HORRIBLE about geting his nails done, now with the dremel he holds his foot up waiting, and if I do Tiggy's nails first he gets impatient and huffs at me, I do them every Sunday

This is the one I use link the low setting is great for all nails, the high setting I only use when I first start on Reggie's nails, Tigs are to small for a higher speed, but Reggie has big thick nails

That's actually the one I ended up buying today, from Amazon & everything. I hope it comes next week since I am excited to try it out. That sounds weird doesn't it? :p

• LOL, na doesn't sound weird LOL, besides great minds think alike

I also have the one you posted earlier, but it DRAINS the batteries fast, I get 2 use (per dog) for every set of batteries (it uses 4 AA)

• While the dremel is great… for newbes... please be careful using these... the one thing I liked about this new one (peticure) it is nail guard...

• Don't worry Pat, I will be extra cautious. The last thing I want to do is hurt my baby! That's why I didn't want to user clippers! I'll take it slow until both he & I get used to it 🙂 Plus it was only $30 so if it proves to be too difficult I can always just buy the Peticure 🙂 Michelle bought the peticure so we'll have to compare the two!

• Another recommendation for using a dremmel tool here.

Suggested Topics