• One comment about "CHIC" designation, they have to have clear tests to get the CHIC designation. In the case of eyes, while minor PPM, Iris to Iris, is acceptable for a CERF test, the rest is not (read about PPM http://www.basenji.org/?q=node/17))… and while PPM needs to be watched in our breed, it is not a deal breaker when thinking about breeding. Every breeder must make hard choices... and I know for myself that if I had a dog/bitch with PPM (I am not talking about excessive) but more than the Basenji Club of America had determined and received approval from CERF as acceptable, that would not be a reason I would not bred a bitch or use a male all things considered and the rest of the health tests are acceptable.

• Well I stand corrected and learned something new…. CHIC only means that you have tested and that you are/do make your results public.... Which is a good thing too....

• It is not true that they have to have CLEAR tests. They must make any results public so a dog that does not have a CLEAR test can get a CHIC designation. Here is an example of a dog with a CHIC number that tested Probably Affected with the Fanconi test. The important thing about CHIC is that any dog with CHIC designation has all 4 of those tests: Hips, Eyes, Thyroid, and Fanconi public so anyone can check the results.

http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1250042#animal

• @tanza:

Well I stand corrected and learned something new…. CHIC only means that you have tested and that you are/do make your results public.... Which is a good thing too....

But the bottom line is that you are testing and you are making public the results… there are many people that have done hips, but not made the results public with less then acceptable results.

• That is exactly true, CHIC means the breeder did the 4 tests that BCOA considers recommended and that they have made all those results public so that breeders and buyers can make up their own minds. People can not make an informed decision without information and making all results public, good, bad, and ugly is the only way we as a community can strive to improve health in this breed.

• @Ninabeana26:

I'm worried for them that they will end up in the mall petstore near us if people don't start buying them.

Large chain pet stores such as you would find in a mall obtain their puppies from brokers. The brokers obtain the pups from commercial breeders aka puppy mills. They do not buy pups from BYB's or unlicensed breeders.

He said he still has all 4 & that they've been in the paper for 2 weeks now.

This is good news. The older those pups get, the more expense and effort they are. He will have the cost of food and more vaccinations and wormings plus more and more time to clean up after them. Perhaps once he realizes that breeding is "more trouble than its worth", he will rethink breeding future litters.

@agilebasenji:

Do NOT go see the puppies if you think you might get weak in the knees by looking at baby basenjis needing a home.

I totally agree with this comment. Resist temptation.

• @YodelDogs:

I totally agree with this comment. Resist temptation.

Yea definitely not going to see them 🙂 I probably would be too tempted & the last thing I need is another 9 week ol d pup running around the house, especially one who isn't coming from a reputable breeder!

• @YodelDogs:

The older those pups get, the more expense and effort they are. He will have the cost of food and more vaccinations and wormings plus more and more time to clean up after them. Perhaps once he realizes that breeding is "more trouble than its worth", he will rethink breeding future litters.

Unfortunately, there is a good chance that these dogs will wind up being dumped on the local shelter.

• Though that is true, it is better to have one litter end up in a shelter then an endless supply of young adults hit the shelters as owners become overwhelmed with normal dog adolecence and have no support to deal with it. Rescue is overwhelmed by dogs that come from BYB's and they come in waves year after year at predictable ages as they hit certain lifestages.

• @lvoss:

AKC only requires a DNA profile for Frequently Used sires which is defined on the AKC site, so many litters a year or over a total number in a lifetime. A DNA profile can be obtained by sending in a cheek swab, the cost is $40. If you prepay there is a $5 discount so it is $35.

I get DNA profiles on all of my dogs because it is one tool a responsible breeder can use to go beyond the registration just being a piece of paper. If the both parents are DNA profiled when you submit your cheek swab you can pay for a DNA pedigree that shows the profiles of all the dogs. AKC also runs periodic checks of all dogs with profiles to make sure they are consistent with the registered pedigree.

Wow, had no idea.
    Thanks for the info.

• so what does that DNA sample show?

• All that DNA sample shows is parentage.

Once the direct gene mutation is found for Fanconi Syndrome a dog that has two parents that have tested Clear by the direct test and have AKC DNA profiles can be certified clear by parentage if they also have a AKC DNA profile. Marker tests do not qualify for the OFA clear by parentage designation.

• gotcha.

when i got the forms for Mia to be registered i saw her sire had a DNA number.. and didnt know what it was for or meant.

• If only the sire had a DNA profile number and not the dam then it most likely means that he is a Frequently Used Sire by AKC's definition and was required to be DNA profiled for his get to continue to be registered.

I voluntarily profile all my dogs and with my last litter I also DNA profiled all the puppies before they left my house.

• @lvoss:

If only the sire had a DNA profile number and not the dam then it most likely means that he is a Frequently Used Sire by AKC's definition and was required to be DNA profiled for his get to continue to be registered.

I voluntarily profile all my dogs and with my last litter I also DNA profiled all the puppies before they left my house.

As do I… and should be from any responsible breeder

Suggested Topics