Food Danger

Hello all,
I just wanted to share with you some information I found out about a food danger in dogs. I remember recently seeing a thread about what foods are dangerous for dogs, and I was going to post this there, but couldn't find it. Anyway, I was searching around online and learned that Xylitol is also an extremely dangerous ingredient for dogs to consume. Xylitol is a sugar subsitute, I am not sure what it is all used in, except I know it is in sugar free gum, especially trident (it says so right on the package).

The websites I looked at said that even two sticks of Trident can be harmful for a 20lb dog. Problems can be a sudden drop in blood sugar, and liver failure. I am glad I saw these articles, as I never have heard this before.

As I was walking Tosca the other day I noticed she picked up a chewed piece of gum and I tried to pry her jaws open to get it out, but she swallowed it before I could. I dont' know for sure if it was Trident or a sugarless gum, but the size/color looked like Trident. Well, of course I was worried so when I got home I called the vet. Sure enough, they said that one piece (especialy already chewed) is not an emergency and to just keep an eye on her, but that Xylitol is a legitimate concern, and had she eaten more she could have had problems. Luckily she showed no weird symptoms, I am thinking cause it was only one piece and since it was chewed the Xylitol was probably out already anyway.

I just wanted to let everyone else know, it is something I would have never thought toxic, and while I would never give gum to my dog anyway, I am glad I know now to watch especially closely on walks, and when people bring open purses over 🙂

Has anyone else heard of this? I don't remember which specific sites I looked at, but if you do a google or yahoo search lots of info should come up.

Jill

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm always worried about EL D snarfing up something harmful on our walks (one brother lost two dogs to poison). I've really tried to work with him that all garbage is a nono but if it smells good he sometimes gets to it before I see it. Usually I can get whatever it is out of his mouth but there's been a couple of times when I'm just not quick enough. Something I always keep in the back of my mind when I walk EL D.

One of my pups, Crystal is the ultimate garbage gut… and will dive in any bush for that "thrown away" KFC chicken bone... sigh.. Poor Ann is forever grabbing for what is in her mouth... especially when around any place that is doing construction... one day it was an entire slice of pizza....

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.