I just wanted to share with you some information I found out about a food danger in dogs. I remember recently seeing a thread about what foods are dangerous for dogs, and I was going to post this there, but couldn't find it. Anyway, I was searching around online and learned that Xylitol is also an extremely dangerous ingredient for dogs to consume. Xylitol is a sugar subsitute, I am not sure what it is all used in, except I know it is in sugar free gum, especially trident (it says so right on the package).
The websites I looked at said that even two sticks of Trident can be harmful for a 20lb dog. Problems can be a sudden drop in blood sugar, and liver failure. I am glad I saw these articles, as I never have heard this before.
As I was walking Tosca the other day I noticed she picked up a chewed piece of gum and I tried to pry her jaws open to get it out, but she swallowed it before I could. I dont' know for sure if it was Trident or a sugarless gum, but the size/color looked like Trident. Well, of course I was worried so when I got home I called the vet. Sure enough, they said that one piece (especialy already chewed) is not an emergency and to just keep an eye on her, but that Xylitol is a legitimate concern, and had she eaten more she could have had problems. Luckily she showed no weird symptoms, I am thinking cause it was only one piece and since it was chewed the Xylitol was probably out already anyway.
I just wanted to let everyone else know, it is something I would have never thought toxic, and while I would never give gum to my dog anyway, I am glad I know now to watch especially closely on walks, and when people bring open purses over
Has anyone else heard of this? I don't remember which specific sites I looked at, but if you do a google or yahoo search lots of info should come up.