• @JazzysMom:

I think so,too. seems the average is 6 mos for most people.

Although, if they come from the pound {at least here}, they'll spay/neuter as young as -2mos. That's always bugged me. I mean, I understand they want to ensure it gets done, but it seems mighty young to me for that kind of surgery.:(

:eek: that is crazy..

• @JazzysMom:

I think so,too. seems the average is 6 mos for most people.

Although, if they come from the pound {at least here}, they'll spay/neuter as young as -2mos. That's always bugged me. I mean, I understand they want to ensure it gets done, but it seems mighty young to me for that kind of surgery.:(

I don't agree with the 2 month spay/neuter either, however considering if it is a shelter dog, it does make sense. With responsible breeders and responsible owners, IMO I do not spay/neuter till about 6 months… and I tell all my puppy people that also.

• @tanza:

I don't agree with the 2 month spay/neuter either, however considering if it is a shelter dog, it does make sense. With responsible breeders and responsible owners, IMO I do not spay/neuter till about 6 months… and I tell all my puppy people that also.

Like I said, I understand their reasoning entirely. They used to give vouchers for free/reduced cost spay/neutering at the time of adoption of younger cats/dogs, but people still weren't doing it. That's why they started doing it before letting the animals go.

• I am a big supporter of the local humane society.
    They have found even when they offer $$ to have the folks bring back puppies/kittens to have them fixed, most don't do it.
    The only way they can prevent more dogs/cats in getting the animal fixed before it leaves the shelter.
    I a perfect world, this wouldn't be needed…but as lots of folks are not
    going to be bothered to have the surgerys done, this is the only way they can be sure...
    I am speaking of a all breed humane society.
    I do see their point...

• @sharronhurlbut:

I am a big supporter of the local humane society.
    They have found even when they offer $$ to have the folks bring back puppies/kittens to have them fixed, most don't do it.
    The only way they can prevent more dogs/cats in getting the animal fixed before it leaves the shelter.
    I a perfect world, this wouldn't be needed…but as lots of folks are not
    going to be bothered to have the surgerys done, this is the only way they can be sure...
    I am speaking of a all breed humane society.
    I do see their point...

😃 great minds think alike. I think we posted these two messages {about people not taking advantage of the reduced/free surgery} w/in seconds of one another. {we share the same local Humane Society}.

I agree; I see their point completely.

Suggested Topics