• We feed once a day in the evening, healthy treats in the AM. We feed the pups twice a day, but the adults only once.

• BB, have you ever had any of your Bs vomit bile?

• @JoeyQ:

BB, have you ever had any of your Bs vomit bile?

It happens every so often I guess, reading all of this is new to me. We've always feed our dogs once a day.

I do have a female that was spayed last summer and is fighting weight gain, the idea of feeding her in the morning makes sense.

• Please explain this to me, it is a new phrase that I am not familiar with. I have had Sahara throw up this yellow junk before, is this what bile looks like. I feed her 2 times a day, morning and evening, sometimes I have it down for her and she won't eat. I think she wants to be picky on those days.

• @youngandtired:

I have had Sahara throw up this yellow junk before, is this what bile looks like.

That's what it sounds like to me YAT, it's something I've never knew before.

• Oh yes, Bella was really bad about throwing up bile first thing in the AM when we first brought her home. Sometimes she would even wake me at night wretching and I would have to get down on the floor with her to keep the bed clean. Think about it, if we get too hungry we sometimes get heartburn… could it be similar with dogs? Some dogs stomaches are more sensitive than others, just like humans. Bella has grown out of the daily vomiting routine, almost like a baby with colic would. Now she only does it occasionally.
    Our feeding regimine is Natural Choice Chicken Rice and Oatmeal dry kibble. 1cup in the AM which I leave out for her and she usually does not consume more than a few bites. Then in the PM I add 1/3 can of the same wet food to her dry. If she has eaten more dry than usual, I will add back a little kibble to compensate. Of course she gets a few treats through the course of the day, but no "chewy bones" until she has finished her evening meal...
    She seems to do well with this and looks to be healthy Basenji weight. I think that if what you are doing is working, don't change it. 😉

• Personally, I choose to feed food that does not have meat by-products. Also, I would avoid the ones that list corn and corn meal as the main ingredient.

• @JazzysMom:

Well, and actually my Daddy was a southern boy and he's the one who had us feeding our dogs once a day. Probably because his family was dirt poor and didn't have table scraps twice a day, LOL

FIVE times a day!! Wow. I'd never remember! We'd have the most inconsistent feeding schedule!

With Senji's liver disease, the vet recommends feeding him 4 small meals/day. I make little balls out of his canned food and hide a pill in each one. He takes his meds twice a day. He doesn't really like the dry Science Diet-liver diet formula unless I add some broth to it. He's been waking up at night to eat, so I've been leaving a little of the dry food in his bowl. That's the only time he'll eat it plain. (I guess when he's hungry enough, he'll eat anything.) I'm weaning him off the prednisone. He's down to 5mg/day. Maybe his appetite will calm down a little.
    Before he was diagnosed with this liver problem, he would often eat grass when his stomach was upset. Then he'd go into this full body heave with his tail "pumping" and vomit the grass and yellow bile.

• If Senji isn't too jazzed about his Science Diet food you could look into this homemade Liver Cleansing Diet.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/liver_cleansing_diet.htm

• Thanks, I remember seeing that recipe, but I had forgotten where I saw it. I've been trying to blend up a few things for him in the food processor that he seems to like. He also takes the milk thistle daily.

Suggested Topics