Hello, my name is Tahj. I am a 21 year old male. I actually don't own a Basenji but I am thinking about getting one in a year or so. I want to lean as much as I can about them before I can decide if they are right for me. I've actually only known about the breed since last night. I did a survey on Animal Planet's site and a Basenji was one of the top matches. The survey was only 10 questions so I cant bas my decision entirely on that but the 2 things that jumped out at me the most is their size and the fact that they are heat tolerant. After I graduate college I plan to move to Jamaica so it would be nice to know that my house mate / travel buddy will not mind the warm climate.
I have been watching videos on Youtube to get a better understanding of them I think the sounds they make are cool and they seem to be really loving and gentle even though they play rough. My main concern with them is if I will be able to control / train one because it will be my first dog. I would greatly appreciate your advice on whether you think a Basenji will be a good fit for me.
- I have never really owned a dog for myself
- I spend most of my time at home
- I have played on sports all my life so enjoy psychical activity
- I enjoy going outside
- usually keep my surrounding neat
- would dislike having a dog that pees all over my house
- don't like lots of shedding and hair all over everything in my house
- dislike houses that smell like barns
- I am pretty tolerant and don't get mad easily
- fresh out of college I will have limited funds for training school (i am still trying to find out that that costs anyway)
- maybe I will be living in a condo by myself or crashing at my sisters house for a year or so after school
- will most likely be commuting between the US and Jamaica regularly
- I would probably travel with the dog because its only a few hrs in the air